We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Reinstall Vista

happyhotspur

Likes # 0

I am having several problems with my windows vista not least that I think the Registry has become corrupt as windows installer wont work (I have posted for help but everything I have tried has failed.

I am also experiencing other strange problems, So I think I need to do a clean install of vista.

I have saved all my files, pictures, e-mail contacts and video's to disc, but would it be better to carry out a clean install or should I format the hard drive first, and what is the best way to carry out either operation.

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

I should think you are happy after that result. Even as a Chelsea fan i enjoyed watching that.

When you insert your Vista disc to reinstall, the onscreen instructions are quite easy to follow.
I believe you have to choose to delete your hard drive contents before it allows you to procede. It did with me, although Vista wasn't on a seperate partition on my PC, so if Vista's on a seperate partition on your PC you may be able to do that.
Personally, i would wipe the lot every time.
These instructions come from Microsoft support.

Turn on your computer and insert the Windows Vista DVD or CD.

On the Install Windows page, follow any instructions that might appear, and then click Install now.
On the Get important updates for installation page, we recommend getting the latest updates to help ensure a successful installation and to help protect your computer against security threats. You will need an Internet connection to get installation updates.
On the Type your product key for activation page, we strongly recommend that you type your 25-character product key to help avoid problems during activation.

On the Please read the license terms page, if you accept the license terms, click I accept the license terms.

Follow the instructions on each page. On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click Custom.

On the Where do you want to install Windows? page, select the partition where you want to install Windows.

Click Next to begin the installation. You might see a compatibility report.

Follow the instructions.

Like this post
happyhotspur

Likes # 0

Yes very happy with the result unbelievable. A Very Happyhotspur. Thanks for you help, I think it will be better to completely wipe the hard drive before re-install, but I remember when I originally loaded Vista I had a few problems sorting out my e-mail afterwards, but I hope its gonna sort out the Windows Installer problems once its done.

cheers

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Somewhere around the "Custom" install stage there is an "Advanced drive ?" option in small letters and this is where you format the HDD.

Like this post
happyhotspur

Likes # 0

Thanks mooly, am gonna re-install tomorrow

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Look at the picture in step 13 here,
click here

It's easy to miss and if you don't format it's not quite as clean an install, you get the "Windows old" files left behind.

I bit the bullet and did a clean install in August and promised myself not to tweak anything or use registry cleaners etc.
Install and let it fully update... if it's a pre SP1 disk you have a days job but it's well worth it.
It's worth taking a running incremental disk image along the way if you can (Acronis) so you can play around with drivers etc and if anything goes wrong you have a clean image to go back to.

Like this post
happyhotspur

Likes # 0

When I have completed the install will I need my Internet router original install disc or will windows find the router and install software, I can't seem to locate my original disc, if indeed there was one. I have all the passwords and logins etc but no disc

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Let Windows handle it all. Just go to "connect too" in the start menu and identify your router, and set it up from there.

Like this post
happyhotspur

Likes # 0

Just a quick update I have now completed the clean install and it was not difficult at all thanks to the guidance given on this forum.

All the windows installer problems have gone and I have a nice clean windows vista.

many thanks to all

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Try and keep it like that :) No registry cleaners etc.

Like this post
happyhotspur

Likes # 0

'No registry cleaners'?

Are they bad to have them running then?

I was thinking of installing Avast Antivirus Free edition, with Malwarebyte and Advanced System Care free edition as. Are these bad for the computer?

I had AVG previously but after installing version 9 I encountered all my problems.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Today's bargains phones, tablets, laptops and more for Black...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers