We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 - 64bit stops downloading

cazez

Likes # 0

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit everything seems to be fine apart from when downloading it all of a sudden stops the downloads. I then can't resume the downloads until I reboot. I thought it might have been Internet Download Manager but I've tried a few others but get the same problem. I did a search on google about this and read that quite a few people are having the same problems. I am a bit of a novice so I don't fully understand how to correct this. I thought it might have been the sleep mode but turning it off doesnt fix the problem.
Anyone had the same problem and if so have you managed to fix it?

Thanks

Like this post
smackheadz

Likes # 0

have you paid for internet download manager?if not i would uninstall it.if you have paid for it i would still uninstall it but that is up to you.you could download update and run malwarebytes to see if you have a nastyclick here

Like this post
smackheadz

Likes # 0

when you say you have tried a few others what were these called?

Like this post
cazez

Likes # 0

Yes I have paid for IDM and had it for a while, had no problems with XP or Vista. I've tried jDownloader and rapidshare manager, but it sometimes stops even when I download 1 file using Windows 7. I read somewhere its a problem with the 64bit.
This is a solution I found but I don't understand it.
On the Windows 7 PC I set
'Task Offload=off". This fixed my disconnect problems. This option is found within the NIC config, Advanced tab, Task Offload=on/off.

Like this post
smackheadz

Likes # 0

are you using the latest version as i just looked at idm and only the latest build supports windows 7

Like this post
cazez

Likes # 0

Yes I'm using the latest IDM and have tried other download progs which the same thing happens. All my drivers are up to date as well.
I'll continue to look around for a fix, thanks for everyones help.

Like this post
gazzaho

Likes # 0

I've no answers I'm afraid other than perhaps something relating to your firewall settings causing it.

I also use IDM and although it doesn't stop downloading, the transfer rate does drop drastically on occasion from say 1.2Mb/sec to perhaps 750Mb/sec when I stop the download the modem continues to flash as though the download is still in progress, I have to exit out of the program and restart it to get full transfer rate again. This happens on a regular basis, I myself believe it's something to do with firewall settings, but I've done what I can with my firewall in order to enable it to work so I live with it.

One thing worth mentioning is I upgraded from Vista 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit and my problem was the same on both versions so my problem isn't related to Windows 7 or 64-bit which does seem to point to my firewall as perhaps being the culprit.

I remember reading somewhere that Kasperskys firewall was giving someone else problems downloading with IDM, once they uninstalled it the downloads worked. The thing is I can't find the page again, I think it was on the Malwarebytes forum or similar, I knew I should have bookmarked the page. If you have KIS installed it my be worth uninstalling and trying another security suite, just an idea.

Like this post
cazez

Likes # 0

Thanks for that gazzaho,
I was using bitdefender firewall and thought it was that so I started using Windows 7 firewall and have the same problem so I'm not sure if its a firewall problem at all.
Like I have already said, I'm not the only one and there are loads of frustrated downloaders out there with exactly the same problem,but only with 64bit. I could install 32bit but its a right pain having to reinstall everything again but if the problem continues then I might have to.

Thanks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'