We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 Upgrade Options

Sibbo

Likes # 0

My Desktop PC has Windows Vista (64 Bit) on it, while my Laptop has Windows Vista Home Premium (32 Bit) installed. If I wanted to upgrade both to Windows 7, would I have to purchase both 32 and 64 bit versions? I would prefer to have the full install disc/s rather than upgrade discs, just in case I have to do clean installations in the future. I couldn't be bothered to sit and install Vista first and then Windows 7 upgrade discs. Thanks in advance.

Like this post
Sibbo

Likes # 0

Should have said that my Desktop has Vista Ultimate (64 Bit)

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If you need to run two versions of Windows you need two keys.
As for upgrade versions have a read here; click here

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Apologies, wrong link..

click here

Like this post
Sibbo

Likes # 0

So for 2 keys, I have to pay twice, or is their some sort of discount? As I said, I'm trying to avoid the upgrade discs.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Yes. For any Windows installation you pay for a licence. OEM will last as long as the PC does. Retail you can install on any PC but only once at a time. If the PC dies you can then install the retail Windows on another PC .

Like this post
Sibbo

Likes # 0

So I'm looking at spending another £300+?

Like this post
gazzaho

Likes # 0

Windows 7 upgrade Family Pack, an additional drive and Acronis True Image was the way I went, Family Pack allows you to upgrade 3 computers, Acronis allows you to image the computers hard drives after installation and activation. This allows you to restore Windows 7 without having to reinstall Vista first.

From what I've read it's possible to install Windows 7 to a clean drive without Vista being installed, I haven't tried so I've no idea how easy it is to do.

Like this post
Sibbo

Likes # 0

As my Desktop PC has Vista Ultimate installed, don't I have to have Windows 7 Ultimate?

Like this post
gazzaho

Likes # 0

I should have mentioned most people have one or two external USB hard drives already, you could even image the boot disk to DVD and the price of acronis will more than pay for itself over the years, if not in monetary terms then perhaps in sanity. At £134 the Family Pack is much better than £300 for two retail copies. Even if you're planning on buying a new computer I don't see much point in having retail as it would have Windows 7 installed anyway.

Like this post
gazzaho

Likes # 0

You would perhaps loose some features only available to Vista Ultimate, perhaps Bitlocker for instance, if upgrading to Home Premium. Just because you have Vista ultimate now doesn't mean you have to stick with it. If there are any features related to Vista Ultimate you can't do without then stick with Windows 7 Ultimate, it's your money and your decision.

I went from 32-bit Vista Home Premium to 64-bit Windows 7 so I can't be certain but I doubt if upgrading from Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Home Premium would cause any compatibility issues, other than driver/hardware issues that you may have anyway.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home