We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do i avoid Windows 7 recovery partition.

Rob_08

Likes # 0

Hi,
as my title suggests i really do not want W7 to create a recovery partition on my Hard drive.
What methods can i use to avoid the creation of it. ?
Thank you.

Sorry if this has been asked before !

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Why do you think that Windows7 will create a recovery partition? As far as I am aware no partitions were changed on the four installations that I have done so far.

Like this post
ambra4

Likes # 0

“How do I avoid Windows 7 recovery partition”

When you install Windows 7 “It Do Not Create a Recovery Partition” on your hard drive

If you buy a Computer from an OEM supplier there will be a Recovery Partition on the hard drive

Like this post
Rob_08

Likes # 0

Seems i'm a little ahead of you guys here.

read this:

click here

See now ?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Well that's interesting, I have looked at my drive with Acronis Disk Director and can see no sign of a Recovery Partition, nor can I see a Recovery File even among the hidden files. Still what's 200Mb on a 1Tb drive.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

The answer is in your link.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

..When I installed W7 cleanly on a drive that had previously been used for Vista I found the recovery partition and assumed it had been left over from Vista.

Sooooooo I loaded a partition manager and deleted the contents of the partition then removed the actual partition itself!!!

Not to worry everything seems to work ok - so far;-)

Like this post
Rob_08

Likes # 0

Hi and thanks guys/girls,

yeah i know the answer is in my link but it seems a bit fiddly, do i format with XP disk and then install W7 or what. ?
If i do it with W7 ( format) will i get the partition warning so i can cancel it ?
Im not 100% sure on this one at all. !

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

Apparently the 200MB hidden partition Win 7 setup creates is used to store a copy of the drive boot sector and a few other files, I think it would also be brought into play if dynamic discs were initialised along similar lines to the 8MB reserved space that XP created for this purpose

Cheers HC

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'