We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

System Restore

avesnes1

Likes # 0

Have any members had any trouble with System Restore in Windows 7?

When I tried to start this via All Programs>Accessories>System Tools, my machine froze completely and I had to restart Windows 7 by pushing the on/off button on my tower. I have now been through this cycle 3 times, each time with the same effect.

Any comment/advice/guidance would be appreciated.

Like this post
avesnes1

Likes # 0

rdave13,
I've followed your latest posting and it has worked here as well! I think that I'll send an email jointly to ALWIL and Microsoft and wait for an updating fix from one or the other or both.

Many thanks for your comments and guidance.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I can also access system restore successfully via your route in your first post. I installed W7 on an XP machine, formatting the drive, and did a clean install. Don't know if this information helps but I've never done an upgrade installation.

Like this post
avesnes1

Likes # 0

rdave13,
I did a clean install but I am currently triple booting. Drive 0 has XP and an Hewlett Packard Recovery partition while Drive 1 has a shrunk patition with Vista and a larger partition with Windows 7. All this is working OK except for the System Restore oddity.

Judging by the number and variety of responses from the google search, there does seem to be something slightly amiss with W7 System Restore and some anti-virus software.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Doubt it. System restore is sensitive to partitions and other OSs I think.
You're doing well....

Hewlett Packard Recovery partition? With your experience...lol?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Samsung's best ever smartphones...

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review and the mystery of the processor benchmarks