We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

System Restore

avesnes1

Likes # 0

Have any members had any trouble with System Restore in Windows 7?

When I tried to start this via All Programs>Accessories>System Tools, my machine froze completely and I had to restart Windows 7 by pushing the on/off button on my tower. I have now been through this cycle 3 times, each time with the same effect.

Any comment/advice/guidance would be appreciated.

Like this post
gardener

Likes # 0

Forget system restore, it hardly ever works (Never for me). Acronis True Image is the best programme for backing up and restoring a computer's complete configuration.

Like this post
avesnes1

Likes # 0

gardener,
I tend to agree - I use Acronis but I am a bit puzzled at the fact that I cannot even start the System Restore application plus the complete freezing effect.

Like this post
gardener

Likes # 0

You could try scanning the system files for any corruption.I think this works in Windows 7:

Type in the search bar 'Run' and then click on the programme 'Run' that comes up.

type in: sfc /scannow.

Remember there is a space between 'sfc' and the '/'

Like this post
avesnes1

Likes # 0

gardener
I tried running sfc /scannow and nothing happened. I'm beginning to think that I've got several/many? corrupted system files.

Like this post
gardener

Likes # 0

Mmmh, strange. You could maybe try this:

click here

Like this post
avesnes1

Likes # 0

gardener,
Thanks for the replies. I'll have a look at your link.

Just to deepen the mystery, as I prepared to install some M/S updates, a message came up to say that a System Restore would be done before the installation. The machine did not freeze and the updates were installed successfully. But of course, I cannot check to see if a Restore point was created.

Like this post
avesnes1

Likes # 0

I've just googled "windows 7" + "system restore problem". It seems that I'm not alone. There are several differing problems with System Restore. One person found that his anti-virus software(Norton) was somehow interferring. I'm using Avast. I'll try temporarily disabling Avast and then running System Restore.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Check your restore settings.
Start- system and security--system--advanced system settings--system protection. Check system restore is on to your C: drive.
Under the configure tab I've set max restore to 15%.

Like this post
avesnes1

Likes # 0

I disabled the Standard Shield in Avast and then tried System Restore. Up came the dialogue box and I manually created a restore point. I enabled the Shield in Avast and then tried to see if the point had been created. The screen froze.

I have now just tried rdave13's suggestion and it took me to a dialogue box which listed one restore point correctly dated and timed.

It does seem that the anti-virus software is clashing with System Restore. I wonder if this is a problem for ALWIL software or Microsoft or both?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Using Avast and Windows 7. Typing system restore in the search bar and clicking on it starts the restore process. Works ok to the point I have to cancel. Shows the main restore points with option to show more.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad