We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cannot open Windows Explorer

Thos

Likes # 0

Wnen I click on the Windows Explorer icon in the start menu in Windows 7, I get a message:-
"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please instal a program or, if on is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs Control Panel"
When I open up the Default Programs, I cannot see how to create an association. Can anyone help by guiding me in simple language?

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Right click on the Explorer icon and select 'properties'.Then select the shortcut tab.

Look in the 'target' window and you should see -

%windir%\explorer.exe.

If not type it in.

Like this post
Thos

Likes # 0

Thank yopu for your interest. However, I have done that and it makes no difference, I still get the message as before.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Have you gone to explorer in the root directory of C:\Windows and tried to start it from there?

Like this post
Thos

Likes # 0

Yes. And I get the same message.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

It could be a conflict with your anti virus. Try loading a different freebie.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Other searches I have done suggest it sometimes happens when you upgrade rather than clean install.

The only solution then is a clean install:-(

Like this post
Thos

Likes # 0

I use AVG free which didn't conflict in Vista, but tomorrow I will try uninstalling and see what happens. I cannot imagine though, that a conflict there is the problem. I guess i have to somehow "create the association" the message talks about.

Like this post
Thos

Likes # 0

I did uninstall my antivirus and it made no difference, As Windows Explorer is an .exe file it should open I guess, but it doesn't and I am inclined to live without it.

Thanks for your help, Pine Man.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback