We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

CPU to run W& in XP mode.

john bunyan

Likes # 0

W7 Pro and Ult theoretically can run XP simulation. MY motherboard is MSI K8N SLI-F and I have 2.2 Gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core. The "check" says 64 bit W7 will be ok but the CPU not ok for the XP. What do I need to replace, is it worth it. Plan b is to run XP as dual boot. Still on XP, installing W7 soon.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

On further reading I think I need an Athlon 64 X2 with Socket AMD2 but with AMD-V capability.Not sure on this.

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

your processor should not be a problem ,but your motherboard must support virtualization , check your board out on the manufacturers website or enter the bios setup during boot (keep tapping (del) during startup . and have a look for a bios option to enable virtualization.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Could not find virtualisation in BIOS options. Do not want to spend too much on a 3 year old PC but wonder which motherboard would be compatible with the rest - processor as above plus Nvidia 7800GTX and X-Fi sound card, Happuage TV tuner.Probably too much hassle, so as I have 2 HD's I will probably run a dual boot XP / W7 until I am used to W7 ,then dump XP.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia