We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cant delete browsing history in task bar

night

Likes # 0

Having upgraded to Windows 7, to which I am getting accustomed to, but can't remove browsing history in my address box on the task bar? anyone any idea's and yes all set in tools but it does not remove?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Click the down arrow in the address bar then click on the red x that shows at the end of the history addresses. Stop when you get to favourites. Close IE8 then reopen. They should be deleted now.

Like this post
night

Likes # 0

Hello rdave13, well I have tried your suggestion but so far no go, maybe I have misread your suggestion as I click on the down arrow on the address bar in the task bar at the bottom of my desk top which shows all my visited Web sites but no matter what the settings are in the Tools they will not remove.so it must be a fault in Windows 7.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Not sure I understand having an address bar on the task bar at bottom of desktop. My address bar is on the top of my browser.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Just found it. Go to the address bar on top of IE8 and click on the small down arrow. Now click on the delete 'red x' found to the right of all addies visited. Stop at favourites and close and restart IE8. You can close the address bar on taskbar by right clicking taskbar-- toolbars-- Address.

Like this post
night

Likes # 0

It seems Windows 7 does not remove history one visits using the Address facility which one can have on one's task bar as they do not remove as they should so have removed address box and using the top address line, it seems Windows 7 does not use the task bar Address box as they will not remove Web Sites visited.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Easier to use CCleaner.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

In search bar type regedit. Click yes for permission. Follow this route ;
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TypedPaths

On clicking TypedPaths then on right hand side you should see a list of URL1, URL2 etc. You can right click and delete the URL not wanted.
Close regedit and reboot.
Be careful using the regisrty editor as you can render the OS unworkable if you make a mistake.

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

The key is actually HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

No, as I've deleted two url's in the taskbar's address bar using the key I posted.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

One thing to watch is that the name (url1 etc) is correct. After deleting a url and logging off and on again it left url2 in place. This won't show in the taskbar's address bar until I changed it to url1. So the names have to be in order.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger