We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Install advice

donki

Likes # 0

Hi guys I have WIN 7 instlled and validated running well, I bought WIN 7. Just want to know say I wanted to reinstall it from scratch using the disk would i be able to or not, basicall can I only install it once? Maybe a stupid question.

Thanks

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Install as often as you like but only one machine at a time. You may have to validate occasionally but that's not a problem.

Like this post
donki

Likes # 0

thank you, I just have it instaled on a normal drive no partition is this ok?

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Yup!

Like this post
gazzaho

Likes # 0

As far as I'm aware Microsoft allow two or three installations a year, after this they may require you to re-activate over the phone, as pine man says you can re-install it as often as you wish as long as it's on the same machine if it's an OEM copy or on one machine at a time if a retail version.

Why not use the built in backup program to make a system image or buy Acronis True Image, you can make a backup of the disk just after it has been installed and it can then be used to reinstall instead of a full re-installation, that way there is no activation issues.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 deals: Find the best contract for your new iPad

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...