We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Change in startup

Pine Man

Likes # 0

When I had RC1 at start up you would first of all get the 'Starting Windows' screen with the coloured lights for several seconds followed by the light blue 'Welcome' screen for several seconds and then finally the desktop. That was the way it remained.

When the full version of Windows 7 was loaded I had the same sequence but as time went on and more programs were loaded the sequence changed. First of all the 'Starting Windows' screen as normal but then the light blue 'Welcome Screen' flashed on and off at least twice followed by the desktop which also flashed on and off at least twice before settling down.

Overall boot up time doesn't seem to be affected and following a recent re-installation of W7 the same problem has returned.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

I have this problem on a xp pc i built for someone the desktop flicks off/on [blackscreen no lights]couple of times during boot up, i changed it from onboard graphics to nvidia card which cut it down to one flicker never did solve it, only added a second or two to boot up

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

It was the latest driver issued by nVidia that caused the problem.

Installed an older one and all is ok.

Thanks guys.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I did wonder about the graphics side of things as when I installed W7 it appeared to have installed the latest nVidia drivers for my graphics card but Windows Update kept insisting there were new drivers available but could not install them for some reason. I eventually removed the driver installed by W7 and installed the latest one from nVidia, which shut up Windows Update!

I have just removed the nVidia drivers completely and NOT installed any others yet so my graphics card appears to be running on generic drivers and guess what - my startup is now working perfectly.

I'll start installing nVidia drivers using old ones first and see how it goes.

Thanks very much for your input and everybody elses offers of advice.

Like this post
gigagiggles

Likes # 0

since you are talking about a graphics display of flash, have you looked at the graphics drivers and their settings and resolution? maybe directx (aug09)?

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

... I have uninstalled virtually all of the programs I installed at around the time the problem started but to no avail.

Altering the start up programs has made the boot up faster (which wasn't a problem) but still I get a few extra screens occasionally.

Tried all the ideas above but failed:-(

Any more ideas?

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Well I gave it a bash but no change:-(

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Thanks, I'll give it a bash!

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

Sometimes after running a repair, the animated Windows 7 boot screen misbehaves, the /l en-US is the locale command setting the animation to en-US (English).

If you want to know if yours is set correctly, just run bcdedit and check that the locale is en_US.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I have stopped a few progs running at start up and now I only get the desk top flashing once and everything else is ok also it is blisteringly fast now!

I'll keep fiddling;-)

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Not sure what this actually does. Before I try could you give me a bit more info please.

sunnystaines - I'll give it a bash!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad