We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Change in startup

Pine Man

Likes # 0

When I had RC1 at start up you would first of all get the 'Starting Windows' screen with the coloured lights for several seconds followed by the light blue 'Welcome' screen for several seconds and then finally the desktop. That was the way it remained.

When the full version of Windows 7 was loaded I had the same sequence but as time went on and more programs were loaded the sequence changed. First of all the 'Starting Windows' screen as normal but then the light blue 'Welcome Screen' flashed on and off at least twice followed by the desktop which also flashed on and off at least twice before settling down.

Overall boot up time doesn't seem to be affected and following a recent re-installation of W7 the same problem has returned.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

I have no idea why, but mine just runs through as normal with no flickering on and off.
Just for the sake of it try this little program which allows you to change the log on. log off screen to whatever you want, and see if it changes the flickering,
click here

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Failing that it must be a program that you have installed which is having difficulty starting

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

not got it either w7 has a very fast boot from the on button to the desktop

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Thanks for the download rawprawn but no difference.

It shouldn't be a program as all of the programs I have now were also on RC1 but I'll start removing a few and see what happens.

If that doesn't work it's not the end of the world as boot up time hasn't been affected and it is still very fast.

I'll leave this open for a bit longer to see if anybody else has any ideas.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

try and reset bios to optimal settings save and exit

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

You could try running the locale command from an elevated Command Prompt, i.e. click the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories and right-click Command Prompt, then ‘Run as Administrator’. Type bcdboot %windir% /l en-US (note the three spaces) and press Enter. Restart the computer.

To check that the locale is correct, run bcdedit.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Not sure what this actually does. Before I try could you give me a bit more info please.

sunnystaines - I'll give it a bash!

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I have stopped a few progs running at start up and now I only get the desk top flashing once and everything else is ok also it is blisteringly fast now!

I'll keep fiddling;-)

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

Sometimes after running a repair, the animated Windows 7 boot screen misbehaves, the /l en-US is the locale command setting the animation to en-US (English).

If you want to know if yours is set correctly, just run bcdedit and check that the locale is en_US.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Thanks, I'll give it a bash!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...