We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

From 32bit to 64 Bit

Shalimar

Likes # 0

I have just installed Windows 7 using the 32 bit disc onto my Dell XPS 420 with a 3.00GH Intel Core Duo.I have now found out that the CPU is 64 bit ready.
Does this mean that my system will run with the 64 bit version of Windows 7?.If so can I unload the 32 bit version and load up the 64 bit even though the the 32 bit has been activated?
I would appreciate your comments.

Like this post
pjwheeldon

Likes # 0

I installed the W7 64 bit version first and found that it worked OK with a couple of exceptions. Only major annoyance was flash does not have a compatible version for 64 bit available yet, so online use was effected.

However, it would only recognise 1 of my 3 additional internal HDDs. After much messing about I tried installing the 32 bit version and immediatly got all the drives available.

Since then have not noticed any differnce in speed between 64 & 32 bit, the two bits of software which did not like 64 bit now work fine in 32 bit and flash is enabled. I would not bother changing it again.

Like this post
havencroft

Likes # 0

I have done that very thing with win 7 but have now gone back to 32 bit as I have some older 16 bit apps that the 64 bit will not run. But I have also activated both with MS.

Like this post
Shalimar

Likes # 0

Many thanks Zeppelyn for your quick reply. i will do as you suggest and take it from there.

Like this post
Zeppelyn

Likes # 0

Yes but check that 64 bit drivers are available for components and peripherals first.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015