We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Screen brightness

tarren

Likes # 0

Hi,

Having installed Windows7 the display is quite dim, nothing compared to what it was when running Vista.
On mains power the display is very bright, as I prefer, but on battery power is perhaps 75%.

I have adjusted the screen brightness to maximum without sucsess, any advise would be appreciated.

Dell Inspiron 1720 Windows 7.

Like this post
tarren

Likes # 0

Glad it worked for you.

Like this post
Rose

Likes # 0

Many thanks for the tip, tarren. This problem has been bugging me for ages and I've been on the lookout for a fix. Finally, another niggle sorted!

Like this post
tarren

Likes # 0

Hi again,

Think I may have gone some way to an improvement, as follows,

On start press F2...
enter the "BIOS"...
scroll down to "Video".....
click on "Brightness" this will bring up an adjustment bar, simply move this to maximum.

Hope this will be of some help.

Like this post
tarren

Likes # 0

Tried everything but no go I'm afraid, resorted to a little programme called DesktopLighter, seems to have had some effect.
Thanks to all for your replies.

Like this post
gigagiggles

Likes # 0

win 7 has this "adaptive brightness" service. perhaps diabling this may be helpful.

don't know how it works or how to configure.

Like this post
PP321

Likes # 0

Hmmm what i'd try next is start windows in safe mode (tap f8 shortly after the computer is turned on) and that *should* load default "get you going" drivers, but it also loads default settings, if its bright then, you know its a driver/software problem, then google it and see if other people are experiencing this.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

mine was a problem of images not being sharp on some items,web pages and office ok but most other items blurred a bit as if wearing someones glasses.

i changed monitor settings from dynamic to standard.In w7 changed default dot from 125% default to 100%, and change screen res from default 125% to 100%. i think i will have to wait for samsung w7 driver to get perfect again.
[in vista everything was razor sharp]

Like this post
tarren

Likes # 0

Hi sunnystaines, did you do much as PP321 suggested or was there anything else you tried?

Like this post
tarren

Likes # 0

Hi PP321,

Thanks for reply, had already tweaked everywhich way but cannot get the setting as I'd like, any further suggestions would be gratefully received.

Like this post
PP321

Likes # 0

Have you adjusted the brigtness here Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings and turn the brightness up

Then goto "advanced settings" in the same window, scroll down to "display" and adjust the "dim display after.."

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...