We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cheap/free upgrade offer

Simsy

Likes # 0

Folks,

I've been tasked with getting a laptop as a present, for my mum, on behalf of my dad...

I/we want it to have Win 7 rather than Vista... (I considered Linux, including the new "eldy" version, and have ruled them out!)

If I buy a new laptop that has Vista installed, and qualifies for the "free" upgrade, does the disc that I'll subsequently get allow a real upgrade from the installed Vista, or will it be a disc that checks for a valid product and then does a full clean install?

Or does it vary from maker to maker?

The ones I'm currently considering are from Acer, Asus and Toshiba.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

And ready for wrapping now I've got it all set up.

When the upgrade stuff came I was able to do a completely fresh install by booting from the upgrade CD. (This was a bit of initiative... it's not covered in the documentation!).

The good and the bad;

Good

Pedigree make. (ASUS are one of the top names in computer hardware).
Good quality wide screen, 15.6" diagonal. (Most of "this" size are 15.4")
Decent fast processor. (Intel core 2 duo)
Good amount of RAM (3 Gig).
Large hard drive, (320 Gig).
Proper number keypad.
Built in Webcam and microphone, so easy for Skype. (There are lots out there with webcam built in, but lots of those don't have a built in microphone!)
Battery seems to last well between charges.
It has the new "n" standard wireless networking capability.

Not so good
Built in speakers not brilliant or very loud.
Screen is "glossy" and shows reflections. (However I don't think you'll find one where this isn't the case now. That's "progress"!)
Because it's slightly wider it doesn't fit in my previous laptop case. This may or may not be an issue for others!
The keyboard keys feel significantly "different" to my Toshiba.. (I can't tell if better or worse though!)
The finish of the case is very glossy, and as a result shows fingerprints easily!
It has a network socket, but not a telephone modem, so you can't use "dial up" to access the internet, or fax from the computer.
Documentation for the various bits of software is poor/non-existant.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Good luck with it and thanks.

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

of course.

The one we've gone for is;
click here

What we wanted was one with a built in webcam AND a built in microphone. There aren't too many about, in the right price range, that have the mic as well.

A friend has one, a fews years old, that is a nice bit of kit. I'm his ""sorter outer". The only issue I've had is that I just couldn't come to terms with the ASUS software that's supposed to make it easy to managed wireless connections. I just couldn't get my head around it and make it work. When it's installed and running it inhibits the windows wireless software from working... So I uninstalled the ASUS software and it's a "sweet as a nut"

Another thing that might be an issue, (it was a consideration when we bought my pals), is that the vast majority of don't have a "line-in" audio input; only having a "mic" input. The model I've just bought doesn't have a "line-in", but, (3 years ago anyway!), several of the ASUS laptops did. For most folk this isn't an issue anyway!

I'll report back when it arrives.

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Asus is a brand reccomended by my local PC repair shop, and my wife is due a new laptop, so I would be grateful if you could comment when you get it.

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

I've ordered an ASUS that's eligible... And I eventually found the info I wanted on the ASUS site...

From the FAQs;

Q: What is included in the Windows® 7 Upgrade Program package, and when will I receive it?
A: The Windows® 7 Upgrade Program package from ASUS will include a single Windows® 7 upgrade DVD, an installation manual, as well as a driver DVD (product model specific). ASUS will update the website and commence shipping after Windows® 7 has been officially launched by Microsoft.

Thanks for the interest.

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

all clear now.

Thank you!

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
Mi Casa

Likes # 0

The two disks are :

Acer Upgrade DVD - Drivers and applications and Windows 7 Upgrade Media.

I ordered them about end of September and they arrived October 29th taking into account the fact that win7 didn't release until October 22nd.

Yes I did a clean install.

Basically you run the Acer Upgrade DVD until prompted to run the win7 DVD.Choose "Custom" install i.e. a clean install and when prompted rerun the Acer Upgrade DVD to update any drivers/applications.

In all from start to finish it took about 40 minutes.

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

How long did it take for the discs to arive?

Thanks,

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

That's the sort of response I was looking for...

However, I'm not exactly clear what you mean by, "The disks were an Acer upgrade disk and a windows 7 disk."...

So you got 2 discs...
Am I right in thinking that you mean you could either;

Upgrade to Win 7 using the Acer upgrade disc
or
Clean install using the Windows disc.

Or have I misunderstood? Your reference to "all drivers being found" suggests to me that you did a clean install. Did you?

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
Mi Casa

Likes # 0

Simsy,

"there are bargains to be had if I go for a Vista machine"

You bet! I bought an Acer/Vista laptop end of September reduced by over £150 and went down Acer's Windows 7 upgrade route.

The disks were an Acer upgrade disk and a windows 7 disk.The cost was £12.38.

The installation was a breeze with the option of a clean install.All drivers were found without the need to bother Acer's support site!

I've been on win7 for a couple of days now and other than a problem with a Belkin peripheral being non-compatible I have to say that I am well pleased!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...