We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Switching to W Live mail

john bunyan

Likes # 0

I am, in a couple of weeks, switching from XP SP3 to W7 64bit. On XP I am using Outlook Express for e mail with Pipex as ISP (will change one day!!). In preparation, can I change smoothly to Windows Live Mail on XP so my e mail will be easier to migrate when I do a clean reinstall of a full W7 installation (Outlook Express not possble in W7). I am a bit rusty on all the e mail settings (POP etc) Is there an "idiots guide" to do this? I would like to end up with all my contacts, old e mails etc in Windows Live Mail.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thanks to all. I will (meanly) go with windows Live mail on switching to W7 and will follow your instructions. I will probably save the Outlook Express stuff on an external HD as I am going to do a clean reinstall of W7 64 bit to a partitioned HD. Then I can download Live mail and import the OE stuff from the external drive.

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

Yes, what I meant was the phrase Export/Import the Outlook Express files to Outlook click here

Like this post
AlanHo

Likes # 0

It is not advisable to use the import function for a pst file. You should use File>Open>Outlook Data File.

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

The instructions I gave above are for Windows Live Mail. Outlook uses a .pst file using the Export/Import route

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Woops, I think I am wrong, the Home and student MS Office 2007 does not include Outlook 2007. Pity.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

WLM free, Outlook 2007 only £10 above MS Office 2007 (I Think); if it is better I'd rather have it.I have up to now been using Lotus Smartsuite for word processing, spreadsheets and presentations so was thinking of buying the MS suite when I switch to W7.Should I go for Outlook 2007 then? If so I assume the above instructions are the same, more or less.

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

You get what you pay for, how much is WLM compared to Outlook 2007?

To put it another way, Austin Mini or BMW 525?

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

i have given up on isp email now just use gmail.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thanks very much. I only want live mail as I have Photoshop, roxio etc for the other items. Any views on MS live Mail vs Outlook 2007 for W7?

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

Previously included programs like Photo Gallery, Mail, Movie Maker and Messenger are not present in Windows 7, they have to be downloaded separately. The one you need to download is Windows Live Mail (WLM). Go click here to download Live Setup and then download WLM.

Here is the whole transfer procedure from OE to WLM:
CONTACTS
OE
Go to File > Export > Address Book and select Comma Separated Values (CSV) > Export, select the fields you want or, for more safety, select all the fields and save the file to the Desktop.
WLM
Go to the Windows Orb (Start), type shell:contacts and press Enter to display the Contacts folder. Click Import > CSV > Import and browse to the file on the Desktop.

ACCOUNTS
OE
Go to Tools > Accounts > Mail Tab and select the first one you want to export. Click on it and then press Export. Save the file to the Desktop. Repeat this procedure for any other e-mail accounts you want to export.
WLM
Go to Tools (press Alt if the Toolbar is not showing) > Accounts > Import > Browse to the file on the Desktop.

Create folders on the Desktop and name them OEInbox and OESent. Open Outlook Express, go to the Inbox, click on a message line, then press Ctrl+A to Select All and drag the highlighted items into OEInbox. Repeat it for Sent Items and any other mail boxes that you have.
WLM
Open WLM, display the Inbox and open the OEInbox folder on the Desktop, Select All (Ctrl+A) the items from the OEInbox folder and drag them to the WLM Inbox. Repeat this for any other mail boxes.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more