We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 Back Up

Pine Man

Likes # 0

I am running W7 32bit Home Premium.

For some time now I have been using Acronis True Image 2009 and it always seems to work ok with W7 as far as making back ups and validating them goes BUT when I tried to do a restore it wouldn't work. I think there might be compatibility problems at the moment according to their forum.

Has anybody tried the W7 back up facility which also makes an image like Acronis?

Like this post
MIke

Likes # 0

I too used the built in W7 Image creation tool, it worked OK but haven't done a restore.

I did upgrade my Acronis TI to 2010 and it does have a lot more functionality than windows own Image creating app. The Windows App doesn't allow you to restore individual files from the backup, doesn't allow you to chose a compression type, I also believe (not 100% sure) that you can only do full image backups...no incrementals unlike TI.

Never had an issue with restoring from Acronis I've been using it from V 8 on XP, V 10 on Vista and now 2010 on Win 7. The new interface on 2010 is very different from V10. Quite an improvent overall I feel.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Thanks for your views.

Having now upgraded from 2009 to 2010 one of the really starnge things is the ability to convert Acronis True Image files to Windows 7 image files and vice versa - why?

Like this post
Number six

Likes # 0

I think you will find that the W7 backup utility has been greatly improved over the Vista version, and makes the XP version look like a joke. It will make a full system image as well as backing up any individual files/folders/libraries you care to specify, all in one operation. These are stored in compressed .zip file format. You can then restore any or all of these as desired. Incrementals can be set daily/weekly/monthly.

Like this post
MIke

Likes # 0

I was and still am under the impression you can only do full system image backups not incrementals, or are you referring to the file backup utility in W7

Like this post
Number six

Likes # 0

MIke: when you first run the backup utility in W7 to create a backup schedule, on the "What do you want to backup" page near the bottom there is tickbox to include a system image. To restore, go to the Backup and Restore Control Panel, click on "restore my files". In the next page, you can browse for the files and folders that you want to restore. The schedule will backup files/folders and the system image incrementally.

Like this post
MIke

Likes # 0

But you can't restore individual files if you just make a system Image 'A system Image can be used to restore your computer if your hard drive or computer ever stops working, you can't choose individual items to restore.' You have to make a data backup too. I wasn't aware that Incremental backups could be made by scheduling the backup.

I agree MS have improved the backup utility over previous versions, particularly with the system Image and to a great extent negates the need for 3rd party software like Acronis, though the latter is much more versatile. I'm sure for simple backup solutions the MS version looks like it would suffice.

Regards

MIke

Like this post
gazzaho

Likes # 0

I use Acronis True Image Home 2009 build 9.770 and have backed up Windows 7 and restored the backup image on at least 2 occasions now while setting Windows 7 up.

I had a problem with my router on the 4th of this month to do with DHCP auto configuration settings not working properly, which necessitated having to clone the MAC address in order to enable Internet access, something that I've never had to do before. This happened while to trying to get Homegroup working in windows 7, something I still haven't sorted out and may or may not be related to Windows 7 and networking.

While trying to sort it out networking went AWOL altogether and I decided to use the trusty Acronis image rather than sort it out, it worked flawlessly I can say and got me back to a working Windows system.

Like this post
sonyboy

Likes # 0

I too can confirm that Acronis TI 2009 works in Windows7.I have been in touch with Acronis Tech support and got conflicting info....So ...I did a full backup task and also a full Image task.....and then validated them by running the "Restore" function.
All tasks completed successfully and can confirm what gazzaho has found too...AcronisTI2009 is compatible on 7 !

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

'AcronisTI2009 is compatible on 7 !'.

It's good that it works for you and some others BUT it certainly is NOT Windows 7 compatible. The only version that is officially Windows 7 compatible is 2010.

I found that 2009 worked (for me) on W7 RC1 but certainly wouldn't work properly on the full version of W7 as many, many others have also found out.

It installed without fault. Validated the images without fault but would not restore any of the images I had made which ever way I tried to do it. In addition the bootable disc would not load properly.

Like this post
beeuuem

Likes # 0

For the time being i'm using Windows7 as a dual boot with XP.
I use Acronis TI v11, tested it on Windows7 (backup and restore) and it works perfectly.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen