We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

getting rid of vista and reinstalling XP

Daisy22

Likes # 0

I have acquired a E System laptop for our daughter, it is very slow despite trying to defrag so I suspect this is because it has vista.

Is it easy/how do I delete vista so I can install XP? The laptop is an E system - 3086 designed for XP although it says it is compatible for Vista.

Can I easily do this ? I would need a step by step instructions to print off and follow.

thanks

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

If it's new, or fairly new, I wouldn't be so quick to assume that the speed issue is because of Vista.

A lot depends on what the hardware specification is, and whether it's a new machine, or one previously used by someone else. Provide that information and we can be more helpful.

Like this post
Daisy22

Likes # 0

hi again
No it's not a new computer.
Everything is slow about it, but I will try to give as much info about it as possible.

It only has one drive (c)which tells me that there is 16.7 gb free of 32.9 gb (that means nothing to me).

It has a RW/DVD drive.

It has hotkeys for email/internet/Wifi

It says it has 512MB DDRII 533 RAM

with an intel celeron M processor

Is that enough information to help?

Like this post
smackheadz

Likes # 0

you need to get some more ram,vista needs 2gig to run properly,but even if you were to add 1gig you would notice a vast difference

Like this post
smackheadz

Likes # 0

if you run this tool it will tell you what you need to getclick here

Like this post
Daisy22

Likes # 0

I would rather just delete Vista and put XP on

Like this post
ventanas

Likes # 0

Slow - I'm surprised it's running at all. Who said it was compatible with Vista? It hasn't got a chance with that spec. I would think even the Basic version would struggle.

To install XP you will need the relavant cd and all the drivers for the installed hardware, which should not be difficult to find.
You cannot use an XP disc if it is OEM, or one that is already installed to another computer.
However- does the laptop have it's own XP certificate, with a product key stuck to it - probably underneath? If so you can probably get away with using any existing disc you have, but using the key on the laptop.
You may also be lucky with some of the drivers, XP had a huge supply of them.
Having got everything together you will need to use the XP disc to format the hard drive (which will remove Vista) and install XP.
If you need to know how to do this post back.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Do you know if it has a recovery option? Many laptops have a hidden partition that is accessible to restore to ex-factory condition, ie you will lose all data but will have a clean install of XP and the drivers that were current when computer was new. I suspect it may be the case as the sizo of your hard drive is probably 40gb so would show as about 38gb formatted so indicates that there is 4gb - 5gb that you can't see.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

I found this earlier posting about E Systems 3086. click here It appears that there should have been a recovery CD with the machine originally.

Like this post
Daisy22

Likes # 0

Sorry the link didn't work canarieslover.

I've checked the bottom of the laptop as suggested and it says on the label it is windows xp home edition with a licence key.

I have got an original XP disc but it will not have the same licence key - does this matter?

I don't know if it has another partition, with my other laptops you can see clearly there is always another drive, but this one only shows C drive.

From what little I know about MB/GB, am I reading this correct that the hard disk drive is ONLY 512 mb? Therefore, surely it is way too old now?

Like this post
ventanas

Likes # 0

No - the hdd is 50GB - small by today's standards, but still perfectly adequate.

The 512mb is your memory, again adequate for XP, but woefully low for Vista, as is the celeron processor.

It doesn't matter about licence keys being different. Use the disc that you have and input the key on the laptop case.

Do you know how to use the cd to format and and install XP?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...