We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Got Win 7 32 bit and want 64 bit

bemuzed

Likes # 0

Hi - I bought an Acer laptop with Vista 32 bit and took advantage of the upgrade offer to Win 7. I hoped for two discs; one offering a 32 bit upgrade and another allowing a clean install of 64 bit (which other folks seem to have been sent). Instead I got a 32 bit disc. I have upgraded to 32 bit Win 7. Any suggestions on cheapest way to get 64 bit Win 7?

Like this post
Technocrate

Likes # 0

32-bit OSes can't be upgraded to 64-bit via the upgrade install. You need to do a clean install.

Like this post
Technocrate

Likes # 0

As stated you'll need to do a clean install.. UNLESS you want to setup a dual boot configuration. You could keep your existing installation and just install a 64 bit version of Windows 7 on a seperate partition or a seperate HDD.. That way you could keep XP around for those few apps that just won't work on 64 bit yet..

Like this post
gazzaho

Likes # 0

I deleted the windows.old folder and freed up around 45GB or so with no side affects at all. I would however, recommend anyone upgrading to Windows 7 to keep the folder for a while as there are Vista drivers and perhaps personal documents, still in this folder.

The reason I deleted it so soon after upgrading was because of the 32-bit to 64-bit change, none of the drivers for Vista 32-bit would work for 64-bit and my documents where all backed up with Acronis. Anyone upgrading to the same architecture may benefit from the Vista drivers in the old folder. If you are unable to find a Windows 7 specific driver, a Vista one might work and all you have to do is direct the driver search wizard to search the .old folder.

Like this post
Crossbow7

Likes # 0

gazzaho, thanks for confirming it is possible to use a upgrade disc to upgrade 32-bit with 64-bit.

I guess the manner in which they were 'separated' with the formation of the Windows.old folder was the key to its success. Did you delete this folder after the upgrade? If yes, were there any adverse affects? G

Like this post
gazzaho

Likes # 0

I have 4GB ram fitted to my desktop and the "All CPU Meter" gadget reported in Vista 32-bit 3075 MB as total ram, this was with a 1GB graphics card fitted and right for 32-bit architecture.

Windows 7 64-bit reports 4095 MB total with the same gadget and same graphics card, so Windows 7 64-bit is reporting the right amount of ram on my machine.

I'm not sure why your system, bemuzed, only reports 3GB, the question that has to be asked is are you sure the Windows 7 version you are using is 64-bit?

Like this post
bemuzed

Likes # 0

shared graphics

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

bemuzed How much ram has your graphics card got.

Like this post
gazzaho

Likes # 0

I purchased the Windows 7 Upgrade Family Pack, which came with 32 and 64 bit versions on separate disks, I was able to install Windows 7 64-bit onto the same drive Vista 32-bit was on, on my desktop machine. I had no problem installing or activating it at all.

I didn't install Windows 7 upgrade by running it from inside Vista, I booted from the DVD and selected custom install and at the end had a windows.old folder which relates to Vista on the drive, which I've now deleted to free up space. I guess booting from DVD and selecting custom installation would be considered a clean install and I can confirm it will upgrade Vista 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit.

Like this post
bemuzed

Likes # 0

Got 4G memory and win 7 only seems to see 3G.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Unless you are going to increase your RAM to 8GB you will find having 64bit makes no difference

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...