We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Got Win 7 32 bit and want 64 bit

bemuzed

Likes # 0

Hi - I bought an Acer laptop with Vista 32 bit and took advantage of the upgrade offer to Win 7. I hoped for two discs; one offering a 32 bit upgrade and another allowing a clean install of 64 bit (which other folks seem to have been sent). Instead I got a 32 bit disc. I have upgraded to 32 bit Win 7. Any suggestions on cheapest way to get 64 bit Win 7?

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

As far as I am aware there would be nothing wrong in borrowing a copy and installing it with your product key.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I thought both versions were on the same DVD.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Separate DVDs in my case.

Like this post
bemuzed

Likes # 0

I only got one DVD and that was a 32 bit upgrade and I have registered the key for that.

Like this post
Crossbow7

Likes # 0

I think according to their rules, as you originally had a 32-bit OS installed, they can only send you a 32-bit upgrade. This is because one cannot technically upgrade a 32-bit OS with a 64-bit one. One can probably do a clean install with a 64-bit upgrade disk, but not an 'upgrade' install.

The cheapest way to an upgrade disk is if you or a family member is a student that meets these criteria click here. If yes, then you can have 64-bit Win7 for £35 click here (strangely there's no Home Premium). Install instructions click here.

If not a student, then it's ~£60 click here & click here. G

Like this post
Crossbow7

Likes # 0

If you're installing 64-bit for no particular reason (i.e. just for the novelty factor), it would be best to stick to 32-bit & save your money. G

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Unless you are going to increase your RAM to 8GB you will find having 64bit makes no difference

Like this post
bemuzed

Likes # 0

Got 4G memory and win 7 only seems to see 3G.

Like this post
gazzaho

Likes # 0

I purchased the Windows 7 Upgrade Family Pack, which came with 32 and 64 bit versions on separate disks, I was able to install Windows 7 64-bit onto the same drive Vista 32-bit was on, on my desktop machine. I had no problem installing or activating it at all.

I didn't install Windows 7 upgrade by running it from inside Vista, I booted from the DVD and selected custom install and at the end had a windows.old folder which relates to Vista on the drive, which I've now deleted to free up space. I guess booting from DVD and selecting custom installation would be considered a clean install and I can confirm it will upgrade Vista 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

bemuzed How much ram has your graphics card got.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks