We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Microsoft Windows 7 Family Pack

InTheCity

Likes # 0

click here
how does this work? is it any 3 computers at any one time?.
Im Buying a couple of new laptops for kids xmas. If I install W7 on their current xp pcs .could I install W7 on the new laptops as long as the hd is wiped and xp put back on there existing pcs.?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

You can put Windows 7 on three of your PCs, will not the new laptops come with W7 installed? if not this 3 license will let you put W7 on the laptops and one other PC.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

My experience with the 3 license version of Office 2003 is that you are OK to do as you are suggesting with Windows7 but a couple of times in the past I have had to call Microsoft to get the activation accepted. As long as you have it on no more than 3 machines at any one time you should be OK.

Like this post
InTheCity

Likes # 0

thanks both.
The laptops I am considering are without o/s
click here

Like this post
JayDay

Likes # 0

The Family Pack allows you to install Windows 7 on three computers.

I have installed the family pack on three computers in my house, all activated no problem.

Like this post
InTheCity

Likes # 0

"The Family Pack allows you to install Windows 7 on three computers"
It will be only be on 3 computers just not the same 3 computers at any one time,Ive only ever had oem xp before thats tied to the machine,so im presuming i can install it on any 3 as long as its 3 but the hardware will differ etc.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Retail versions such as you have will allow you to install them on 3 machines at any one time regardless of the hardware etc. At least that is my experience with Office 2003 where over the years my 3 licenses have been installed on several different PCs. I have been scrupulous in removing them from machines no longer in use but on one occasion I did have to call Microsoft where an automated system allowed me to activate.

Like this post
gigagiggles

Likes # 0

"The laptops I am considering are without o/s"

i hope the family pack is NOT the cheaper upgrade version. that would require an installed, activated windows license to upgrade from.

anyways, since the current pc's are xp, the family pack will be clean installs on a separate drive or partition. keeping the recovery partition or disks secure, let the kids play with the win7 but don't activate. as the 30 days come to an end, either find ways to extend the trial period another 30 days or delete and return to xp status.

then, they can't wait until they get their win7 xmas presents with activations posing no difficulties!

Like this post
JayDay

Likes # 0

The family pack is the upgrade version

Like this post
InTheCity

Likes # 0

Thanks guys it appears from the replies that the upgrade is not for me.Looks like buy laptops with o/s onboard and buy more memory at the price point im looking at.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

O2 to sell exclusive red HTC One M8

IDG UK Sites

iTunes 12 release date & rumours: When is iTunes 12 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger