It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion
2nd Hard Drive not recognised by W7
Likes # 0
Posted November 4, 2009 at 7:19PM
I installed W7 64 on my 'c' drive (raid 0) and have slowly been building it up from backups and installing programs etc. However, I ran out of space on my external drive and was unable to copy windows.old from the 'c' drive to the external drive. I bought a single 'Samsung 1Tb HD103SJ Sata F3' drive and installed it to get round this. I started the computer and the bios reports the Samsung as present but it does not appear in 'disk management' in the administration tools. How can I get windows to see the drive so I can partition it and format it? Thanks
Likes # 0
Posted November 5, 2009 at 8:35PM
I finally solved this myself! My solution is below for anyone else having the same problem.
1) Go into your bios and disable the Sata channel that you have installed your new drive on.
2)Restart computer and go into disk managenment
3)Your new disk should be listed as 'disk 0'
4) right click the left box by the disk 0 drive and select 'initialise disk'
5) Right click the right box and select 'simple volume'
6) follow the instructions that come up in the wizard
7) your new disk should now show up in 'disk management' and 'explorer' with the drive letter you allocated in the wizard.
Hope this helps. Good luck.
Reply to this topic
This thread has been locked.