We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Acer boot up problem

raziel08

Likes # 0

My acer laptop will not boot up, it gets past the acer splash screen and then displays this message

Broadcom undi PXE - 2.1 v9.4.5
PXE - E61 : Media test failure, check cable
PXE - MOF Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM
Operating system not found

I did create some factory restore discs but it doesb't seem to be able to read them. I haven't checked the cable yet as i don't have a screwdriver small enough.

Plz can anyone help. It worked alright last night upto a point after i had done the recent updates and i was on the internet for about half an hour and then it just froze and shut off.

Like this post
smackheadz

Likes # 0

i think your hard drive has packed up.check your bios to make sure it is set to boot from your hard disk.

Like this post
raziel08

Likes # 0

thanks for the reply. I have checked the bios and it is supposed to boot up from the hard drive. The laptop is only about a year or so old so is this really possible that it could have packed up?

Like this post
raziel08

Likes # 0

then again saying that the dvd drive packed in after only a couple of months use so i suppose its possible. If i installed a new hard drive then could i use my factory restore discs?

Like this post
smackheadz

Likes # 0

is it not still under warrenty?

Like this post
raziel08

Likes # 0

no the warrenty ran out a couple of months ago, unfortunately.

Like this post
smackheadz

Likes # 0

if it was a 12 month warrenty, depending on how much you paid for it,you may be able to argue that 14 months is not a long time for a hard drive to pack up.

Like this post
raziel08

Likes # 0

Yeah it was a 12 month warrenty which came with the laptop which i purchased from cclonline for £450. A new hard drive will cost about £40 give or take a few pounds. What do you think? should i ask acer or cclonline to fix the laptop or should i just buy a new drive and use the factory restore discs that i made?

By the way will these discs contain the OS? i always meant to check.

Like this post
smackheadz

Likes # 0

it will need someone with more knowledge than myself to advise whether you can recover with the factory reinstall discs after a change of hard disk.i've read somewhere that changes of hardware can make vista think that a new computer is being used to install on.personally i think 14 months is still not very long for £450.

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

You said that the bios is set to boot from the hard drive,change it to boot from the cd/dvd drive,insert the disc then reboot,worth a try.

Like this post
raziel08

Likes # 0

smackheadz - your probably right about that however wasn't there a section in one of the magazines about changing a hard drive and installing the os onto it? How about if i was to find a hard drive of the same make and model, would vista be fooled into thinking that its the same drive?

tullie - thanks for that advice will give it a go later.

I also ran Ubuntu from a live disc and it worked perfectly so i know that none of the other components are at fault.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......