We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 installation - triple boot

avesnes1

Likes # 0

Currently I have XP on partition C of internal disk 0 and Vista on partition D of internal disk 1. I have created a new partition (W) on disk 1 and I plan to install Windows 7 into that new partition.

Could I install from within XP or Vista or should I install by booting from the Windows 7 Home Premium disk?

Thanks in advance for any comment/guidance from members.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

See Mike's and other comments on this thread:
click here

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I am going to use MS Security Essentials (anti virus) when I switch to W7, having read a number of comments re AVG on these forums. Some say MAB still works. I think CCleaner is ok, and I have always used the normal MS Defragmenter.I also believe the built in W7 Firewall seems fine.

Like this post
avesnes1

Likes # 0

Apologies but i should have started a new thread.

Like this post
avesnes1

Likes # 0

I'm a bit confused regarding which free products are compatible with Windows 7. I'd be grateful if members could elucidate the current wisdom on this aspect.

Thanks in advance for any comment/guidance.

Like this post
avesnes1

Likes # 0

oops! everything except my typing - fibish = finish

Like this post
avesnes1

Likes # 0

Just to fibish off this thread - I booted from the W7 32bit disk and did a custom install into my newly created partition. I then used EasyBCD 2.0 beta to tidy up the boot screen ("Previous version of windows" and the default) and touch wood it all seems to be working OK.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

You have forgotten a quadruple boot (add Windows 98SE)!! I can quite unerstand keeping XP and W7 for a while, but after checking that everything works in the new system, why keep it active? I am about to change to W7 from XP and am debating 3 options:a to make a clone of my C: drive to a spare external drive so I could revert in a doomsday scenario,b: a dual boot as you suggest with XP and W7, or c: with W7 Ultimate to invoke the XP emulation and virtual disc it offers.In any event if, hopefully, w7 works ok I will move on and abandon the old system, which I was loathe to do with Vista, which I never bought.

Like this post
weistar

Likes # 0

As I see, it is a waste of disk space to install Windows7 and Vista in a PC. The former is better. Just Windows7 and XP are OK.

Like this post
Zeppelyn

Likes # 0

Either method is ok, be sure to select custom install although I guess you already know that.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger