We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Free security with W&?

john bunyan

Likes # 0

I will install W 7 in a couple of weeks and would be grateful for comments on proposed security etc.
1. Firewall. Using Comodo on XP - Propose to use Windows own on W7 Ult.
2. Anti Virus. Use AVG 8.5 on XP. Propose MS Security Essentials or Avira on W 7.
3. Malware. Use SAS and Malawarebites in XP - continue in W7?
4. CCleaner as usual ?
5. Have ordered ATI 2010 for W7 - using Version 11 at present.
I have downloaded drivers for sound and video cards ant burnt them to disc - they took nearly 2 hrs each at my slow download speed.
I will follow advice to migrate e mail from Outlook Express to Windows Mail.
Just in case I am making a clone of my main disc on an external drive with ATI.
Any lessons from early adopters would be appreciated!!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

heading should be W7!!

Like this post
smackheadz

Likes # 0

had used avira on both vista and xp before but when i used vista 64bit and now windows 7 64bit i couldn't get it to update.now using avast with no problems,windows 7 firewall and windows defender.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thanks - should have mentioned I will use 64 bit. Mooly and others are happy with MS Security Essentials so I will await further comments.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

I don't know about the free versions, but both Pro versions conflict on my machine. I have had to abandon Malwarebytes, and I am using A Squared with no problems.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

A Squared Free version, but I am going to try
click here
on the 11th

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thanks for info. Which free programme did you mean? Pity about Malawarebytes. Any views on SAS?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

SAS pro works and the free version of Malwarebytes also works for me. Use it's own firewall with the free version of W7 firewall controller; click here
Also use Defender and Avast.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thanks. Glad MAB works for you. What's wrong with the W7 built in firewall; ie why does one need the extra controller?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Extra control for outgoing.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

A Squared free, but as I said I will try the pro version when it's available

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'