We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

No sound since Win 7 install

ex-wirecutter

Likes # 0

Have just installed Win 7 and no sound which worked perfectly before. I did get an error message saying Win 7 was not installing certain incompatible drivers so I assume it was my sound card .Strangely I do have a speaker icon in the task bar and when I check sound properties it says the sound is working .
My sound card is on the motherboard so have tried another sound card and amplified speakers , still nothing.There doesn't seem to be any Win 7 dedicated sound cards on my local suppliers website so any suggestions please ? I have checked the plugs and temporarily connected an old hard drive with Win XP and the sound is O.K. on that.

Like this post
Technocrate

Likes # 0

Hello Jgh54,

Thank you for your post. Let's make sure that your playback devices are enabled.

Right-click the speaker icon on your taskbar > Select 'Playback Devices'
In the empty space, Right-click and select both 'Show Disconnected/Disabled Devices'
Do you see icons for your speakers and headphones now? You may need to enable both of these.

You can also try the troubleshooter to discover any connection issues that may exist, instructions are below:

Click 'Start' > Select 'Control Panel'

Type troubleshooting in the top-right search field > Select 'Troubleshooting'

Click 'Hardware and Sound' > Select 'Playing Audio'

Please let us know if this did or didn't help to resolve your problem.

Like this post
ugiekfitrah

Likes # 0

need toshiba drivers? I have a solution, find them here
click here

Like this post
Mike@#36

Likes # 0

I had a similar problem after my installation. Have to say it was the only problem I've discovered so far with W7. Although the speakers built into the flatscreen monitor worked the speakers plugged into the sound card at the back of the PC did not?

However the solution was disturbingly simple. After downloading the Realtek HD audio driver I took the speaker plug out of the socket on the back of the PC then plugged it back in. This gave me a window that identified I had plugged it in and a set of check boxes to let it know what I had plugged in - in my case 'Front Speakers'. After this all worked fine.

Hope it helps someone somewhere.

Like this post
gazzaho

Likes # 0

I had trouble with the Conexant sound on my Toshiba satellite P100 machine, the High Definition Sound driver wouldn't install properly and Windows 7 Update couldn't find a driver at all, Toshiba didn't list a Windows 7 version for my notebook either.

In the end I downloaded and installed the newest Vista driver for my notebook from Toshiba and the sound is now working fine. If you can't find a Windows 7 driver for your machine then a Vista driver might work, it did on my machine and it might be worth a try.

Like this post
ex-wirecutter

Likes # 0

Disabled the onboard sound and fitted a old sound card in a slot and it worked using XP driver ! dont ask me how . So now will mark as resolved , thanks for your suggestions .

Like this post
pa1916

Likes # 0

In sound is it set to speakers or digital??
If it is speakerstry digital.
I had a 4 year old Novertech desk top with Realtek
onboard sound had to give up on that and bought a sound card no problems after that.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

The link goes back to the agreement window but accepting this and the Vista/ Windows 7 driver is there.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try start and in the search bar type system. Click on system information. Expand components- sound device. Mine shows Realtek AC'97 audio. At bottom of list it shows driver version as 6.0.1.6305
Searching for this gets me to here; click here
Check your sound device to see if you can search for the right driver.

Like this post
sonyboy

Likes # 0

Some bad reviews on this application from Cnet.I suggest you steer clear and try elsewhere!!
On initial install of Windows7..I too got the icon on the taskbar.
This does not mean your sound is working though..I had to install my "Realtek Audio " files from the manufacturers website in order to get the sound correctly installed!
Have you tried to locate an updated driver from your soundcard as this seems to be a driver related issue ..What is the type of card you have for audio on your mobo? Might help someone throw a little light on your issue !

Like this post
ex-wirecutter

Likes # 0

Even further to the above , have just been on a site called Driver Robot , which claims to update all drivers . Am a bit dubious , has anybody tried them ?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......