We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

using email in Windows 7

kimber51

Likes # 0

My old version of Outlook 2002 does not download emails in W7, and Eudora fails to log in to the server. I get a "Server failure" error. Now I am wondering whether to buy Outlook 2007. Will it work properly in W7 as it does in XP?

Like this post
cagey

Likes # 0

Sorry about last post, I meant to start my own thread. Please disregard.

Like this post
Rob_08

Likes # 0

The reason i suggested Thunderbird is because it will work without issues for you. Windows Mail is a ghastly piece of sotware.

Like this post
kimber51

Likes # 0

Rob, I appreciate that you are trying to help. I have installed Thunderbird, and it has the same problems with logging in to the email server. If only it was as easy as "it will work without issues for you". I am only using the forum because the obvious things have not got me nearer to a solution. I know it should work without issues, but the darned thing does have issues. It's sufficiently important for me that I have to revert back to Vista to get my mail. I had not considered dual-booting but that may be a remedy in the short-term. What I really need to know is whether anyone has used Outlook 2007 in W7 and was it problem-free? If so, I might buy that and then get help sorting that one out.

Like this post
mfletch

Likes # 0

Re-enter the email and password {apply}

It may have got corrupted in some way.

Like this post
rick214

Likes # 0

I'm using Outlook 2003 with no problems so the 2007 version should be OK. Also trialled Thunderbird which also works, but was real pain to import all my old contacts.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

I don't use Outlook 2007 or Live Mail but I did load Outlook 2007 as part of my Office set up. I then tried the email set up and much to my surprise Live Mail was automatically configured to work with Outlook 2007 after I entered my Live email address and password. It now works like any other POP/SMTP program but is a little slower than my normal email server.

Like this post
SimonSays

Likes # 0

I used Outlook Express in XP64.

When I installed Window 7 I was flabberghasted that I couldn't continue to use OE, but was expected? to use the dreadful Live Mail.

I don't like Thunderbird either.

Fortunately software4students have MS Office at a fantastic price, so I installed Oulook 2007, and now I'm a happy bunny again.

Like this post
gazzaho

Likes # 0

Wow I think Windows Live Mail is a vast improvement over Windows Mail in Vista and Outlook Express in XP, I can't comment on Office Outlook I never used it.

At first I was sceptical as I was under the impression it was web based but it stores all your email locally and it synchronises with multiple machines, I now have up to date mail on my notbook and desktop, with OE or Mail if I downloaded email with one, those emails were missing on the other. I had no real problems setting it up either I just exported my email and contacts from Windows Mail and imported them into Live Mail then moved them to the Inbox.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

Government kills £50 million 'Silicon Roundabout' regeneration fund