We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

using email in Windows 7

kimber51

Likes # 0

My old version of Outlook 2002 does not download emails in W7, and Eudora fails to log in to the server. I get a "Server failure" error. Now I am wondering whether to buy Outlook 2007. Will it work properly in W7 as it does in XP?

Like this post
mfletch

Likes # 0

They recommend using Windows Live Mail with 7

click here

I use it and its very good,

Like this post
kimber51

Likes # 0

Live mail keeps the emails on the MS server and I want to keep them on my own PC where I have control of them. So Live mail is not a solution for me.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

There should not be a problem if you know the settings to use. You will need to check with your ISP's website for these. I use Sky and they have settings for both Outlook 2002 and 2003. I use the latter and it works fine with W7. Their step by step guide is excellent.

It may be that you need to set the correct ports for POP (or IMAP) and SMTP. The accompanying link is for setting up Sky, but the general principal is the same for most ISP's click here

Like this post
kimber51

Likes # 0

I have checked all the settings on the email software, and I am using the same settings as for Vista. I think something is missing from my installation of Windows 7. My email software just doesn't log in properly, and gets fed up waiting for the ISP server to respond. Webmail and IE8 work fine. Any ideas?

Like this post
mfletch

Likes # 0

Are we talking about the same "Windows Live Mail"

This downloads your mail to your PC just the same as Outlook,

I think you are thinking of Hotmail {Live mail}

The link I gave you is not for Hotmail {Live mail}

Its "Window Live Mail" click here

I use this to download my TalkTalk mail as well as Google mail etc

Like this post
kimber51

Likes # 0

I have tried using the Windows Mail setup as well, and I keep getting the following error messages.

Unable to send or receive messages for the Lineone account. The e-mail server returned an error.

Server Error: 0x800CCC90
Server Response: 1 6276
Server: 'pop3.tiscali.co.uk'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC90
Protocol: POP3
Port: 110
Secure(SSL): No

I have no idea how to interpret these error messages, so I am stuck at this brick wall.

Like this post
mfletch

Likes # 0

Try turning your firewall and antivirus program off then see if the mail works

They may be blocking port 110

Like this post
Rob_08

Likes # 0

Use Thunderbird .

Like this post
kimber51

Likes # 0

Windows Live Mail has given me some results...but it's temperamental. And many messages have no sender or subject shown, though the body of the text is there.

It is really not helpful to tell me to use another piece of software (which actually I have tried in my desperation to get to my emails). If the other software (eg Thunderbird) did work, there must be a reason why it works. How can we ever learn anything if we just avoid the problem?

In the meantime I have seen how WIndows Live Mail works.

Like this post
cagey

Likes # 0

I dual boot my computer with Win 7 and Vista. I am using windows live mail for Win 7 and windows mail for Vista. When I occassionly go into Vista and open my windows mail inbox there all the emails I have previously opened in Win 7 (Live Mail). Is there a way to stop these emails from being duplicated in both inboxes?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger