We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

32 x 64 bit. Think about this....

Likes # 0

I've spent a week looking at computers with W7

Most systems for home use have 64 bit W7 installed and, as you have no doubt seen from a trawl through this forum, this can cause difficulty with drivers and software

However, looking at business computers and workstations, it seems that many still use 32 bit

Am I wrong in thinking that 32 bit is still the way to go if you want business type efficiency with worry free operation?

I've eventually ordered a 32 bit business system on the basis that 64 bit is still, perhaps, a step too far

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

even 128 bit - allegedly

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

the leak about 128bit was exposed as a hoax ,microsoft have no intention of working on such a system now or in the forseeable future.
I have both Vista and Windows 7 in both 32 and 64bit .and although I am embracing 64bit as it makes progress there are very few programs out there so far that actually take full addvantage of the abilities of 64bit . I have quite a few proggies that are stated as 64bit compatable ,but in actual fact they work in 32bit mode in effect and are not capable of utilizing the available memory . photoshop CS4 supports 64bit . but I use it in both systems and there is not that much of a difference .
the good news is that at last PCs are leaving dealers in 64bit en-masse . and it looks like software writers are at long last looking to reap the benefits of 64bit and the huge amounts of memory that it can use .
Many PC users are not that computer savvy ,and are not particularly obsessed about power and speed .as long as they can do all the things they are used to doing .these are the users that would be heavily dissapointed when they buy a new PC in 64bit only to find that a fair few of their favorite softwares wont even install (let alone run)
personally I am all for 64bit .bring it on ,the sooner the better , but as long as software makers are dragging their feet with drivers and software that fully support it , most users wont benefit from the step up .

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

how many of you 64 bit users have more than 4g of RAM and how much.

Like this post
gazzaho

Likes # 0

I just have 4GB at the moment because programs just don't demand much more, but the option is open to install more if/when needed.

merlinx
When they say 64-bit compatible I believe they mean that the program will work on 64-bit architecture, not that it's designed to utilise it, my reading of it is that the program won't crash with 64-bit. Very few programs at the moment are actually designed for it.

Like this post
Teaboy

Likes # 0

sunnystains-

I do-I have 8GB

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

4gb of ddr2 on my old machine 16gb ddr3 on my new biuld.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

does 16gb ddr3 make a noticable spped hike?

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

nope ,but more can be done via multitasking etc, hard drives are the weak point and have been for some time ,have run dual hyperdrive (ramdrives) raided (0)that makes a huge difference everything happens just about instantly even working huge files in photoshop is so fast its scary ,but at a huge cost as RAM is going up in price again .
look up hyperdrive 5 if your interested ,but it works out darn expensive . even the best (fastest) hard drives around wont keep up with a couple of hyperdrives raided.
SSDs are getting more reliable and maybe in the next year or two will become cheap enough to most users .but whatever the storage methods used ,any speed problems wont be with RAM or processor ability .
more RAM will only be beneficial if you work a lot with large files and RAM hungry programs DVD editing etc , graphic hungry games.
for most everyday tasks ,4gb is more than enough ,and that should cope with several tasks at the same time with out problems .
I do a fair bit of PC biulding and allways have lots of RAM lying about ,I can allways use it up in biulding PCs ,I would never normally use anything over 8 gb ,its overkill .
the 16gb ddr3 system I spoke of was just experamental and has 8 OSs installed , as a test bed for various softwares .

Like this post
Aushvill

Likes # 0

as a matter of fact

32bit Operating System cannot exceed system memory(RAM)beyond 4 GB

hence all the triple channel mode supported by the Core i7's will not be fully utilised (unless ofcourse u r using a 1GB x 3 config)

Like this post

Likes # 0

I started this thread at the end of October when I was needing to buy a new laptop for my daughter at college as well as considering buying (building?) a new desktop for myself

In the two months that have followed, it may help others to have my view on what I have bought

First, Windows 7 is the easiest and most robust operating system I've come across. And I've been through 3.1 , Me, XP (but not Vista!!)

Windows 7 floats my boat, and no one has got me to say that!

Secondly, while I know 64 bit will be the code of the future, I just cannot see why I need to go there just yet. When I buy 32 bit systems and stuff, it just works. From what others say 64 bit is still an experimental zone, demanding all sorts of "authorisations" etc

I've bought a Dell business vostro W7 32 bit and an Acer laptop W7 in the last 2 months. Both are 32 bit, both work, out of the box without a hitch. I'm highly delighted with both and neither are "Mr Slow"

I'm just still puzzled as to why consumer machines are all 64 bit even allowing for F.E's explanation

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...