We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

32 x 64 bit. Think about this....

Likes # 0

I've spent a week looking at computers with W7

Most systems for home use have 64 bit W7 installed and, as you have no doubt seen from a trawl through this forum, this can cause difficulty with drivers and software

However, looking at business computers and workstations, it seems that many still use 32 bit

Am I wrong in thinking that 32 bit is still the way to go if you want business type efficiency with worry free operation?

I've eventually ordered a 32 bit business system on the basis that 64 bit is still, perhaps, a step too far

Like this post

Likes # 0

Thanks for that

I think you've hit the nail on the head. 64 bit WILL become the way to go, but at the moment, unless you are into gaming, it really is not required

The Forum Editor hit the same nail when he said it was "a commercial thing"

For most of us deciding to move from XP to W7 32 bit would seem to be the way to go

So why do most consumer computers only do 64 bit?

Are the manufacturers being offered incentives to go this route??

Like this post
gazzaho

Likes # 0

Are the manufacturers being offered incentives to go this route??

I've no idea if that's what's happening or not, but in order to make 64-bit mainstream it would require more 64-bit systems to be sold, or I should say 64-bit compatible systems with 64-bit OS's. And as I've said it is the future, and with everything computing, the future is closer than you may think.

Like this post

Likes # 0

I've no doubt about that

But as a guy who started with sirlans amstrad word processor which did me fine running my business in the late 80's and went on to Bill's 3.1 jobby (having mastered dos in the meantime) I just don't see the need for 64 bit anytime soon

I can't see why I need to go to Dell's business site to get a W7 32 bit system when if I had plonked on any other website (Dell Home/small business, PC World, Mesh, etc etc) I'd only have been offered 64 bit, and all the problerms that came with it

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

What problems apart from 2 5yr old games that wouldn't work and no drivers for my 10yr old scanner I have had no problems running a 64bit OS.
With it being able to use 8gb ram things are so much faster and I can have multiple programs running without any slowdown.

Like this post

Likes # 0

The problem I see from the forums is that all drivers need to be digitally signed and many folk say this that and the other hardware won't work because of that.

And the makers of that hardware aren't going to write new drivers or pay Microsoft to get them digitally signed

I don't need gaming speeds but merely need to move on from XP which is now so old. And Microsoft want me to do that

I'm quite happy to move to 64 bit if it's a case of shoving a disk in and letting it do the business on the understanding that all will be well

But all this faff about saving my files and re-installing and all the rest of it. Excuse me?

But paying a load of spondoolicks to be told I can't just upgrade from my old operating system and go back if it doesn't like it? Well, sorry, that's not me

And if they can't arrange for my existing (recent) hardware to work without a problem then I don't intend to go there

The answer in my book is to buy a new computer with W7 installed so the maker will have all the hardware sorted

But I don't, on current reports, need 64 bit

So why are all the consumer systems trying to get me to select it?

Like this post
gazzaho

Likes # 0

I have to agree with Kevscar, unless you use a lot of old programs that aren't compatible with 64-bit then I can't see the point of clinging to 32-bit.

Granted when Vista was released in 64-bit form I read that a lot of people were having problems with drivers and compatibility with software, and from what I read 64-bit XP was a lot worse than Vista, but that was a few years back. Even 32-bit specific software now days is designed to run on a 64-bit OS. There are 49 programs in my Program Files (x86) folder and 24 in my Program Folder, that's twice as many 32-bit programs as there are 64-bit and they run fine, I haven't noticed any problems so far.

Which OS version and type is down to personal choice. As I've said, at this moment in time 64-bit isn't essential but it is inevitable. Just like the change from 8-bit to 16-bit and then 32-bit, sooner or later it'll get you, LOL.

Like this post
SimonSays

Likes # 0

Windows task manager (yes I still use it - a throwback from having to regularly kill kaspersky is 2009) shows me using 3.46GB of memory out of 8GB.

I have Outlook 2007, uTorrent, SpartFTP, Newsbin Pro, mIRC, O&O Defrag, 12 IE tabs & 8 Firefox tabs open, anti virus, trojan hunters, etc etc all open and running at the same time. Windows 7-64 just keeps on going.

Games? I haven't played then since Quake. :P

Like this post
fuchsia

Likes # 0

I have a new computer coming for xmas.It says on the box 64bit.Is it possible to convert to 32 bit during the installation?

Like this post
Teaboy

Likes # 0

Forum Ed.

You make good points- But what about we-un's that just have to have the latest of everything?

I have been running 64bits for some time,and frankly would not be keen to return to 32bits.

64bits is a better job.

32bits is ugh! and comparatively slow.

Like this post
Teaboy

Likes # 0

PS.-just to remind all that 124bits is just around the corner

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite