We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

32 x 64 bit. Think about this....

Likes # 0

I've spent a week looking at computers with W7

Most systems for home use have 64 bit W7 installed and, as you have no doubt seen from a trawl through this forum, this can cause difficulty with drivers and software

However, looking at business computers and workstations, it seems that many still use 32 bit

Am I wrong in thinking that 32 bit is still the way to go if you want business type efficiency with worry free operation?

I've eventually ordered a 32 bit business system on the basis that 64 bit is still, perhaps, a step too far

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

only got the 32bit disc in my pack so do not get a choice

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

in using a 64bit machine if you don't run any applications that will benefit as a result. That's why many business systems are 32bit - there's nothing much to gain from moving to a 64bit platform if you're just using Microsoft Office and email.

Like this post

Likes # 0

Absolutely. That was the conclusion I came to, quite apart from the threads I read detailing problems with drivers and 64 bit.

What I found difficult to understand was why virtually all the home market machines i looked at have 64 bit installed

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I am in a similar dilemma. However it seems to me that the main advantage of 64 bit is the possibility of having and using as much RAM as the motherboard will allow whereas 32 bit only can use 3.75 Gig RAM. Photoshop CS4 with many layers and open files can be RAM hungry, and although I am not a gamer, I believe they need as much RAM as possible.I suspect home machines with 64 bit are aimed at gamers.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

is being driven by the component manufacturers, some software companies, and the games industry - it's a commercial thing.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

I.ve got 64bit Vista with 8gb ram. It menas I can be creating a DVD, playing with Photo,s in PSP and running 3 or 4 browser games at the same time as I am typing this with no slowdown

Like this post
Rob_08

Likes # 0

Exactly kevscar !!
Its a performance thing and its exactly why im going 64bit to.

Like this post
DrScott

Likes # 0

does enable the OS to address more memory, which given the RAM and resource requirements of modern games is becoming an issue.

Of course performance computing is not required for internet browsing or email or even letter writing.

It's just a question of what you want or need.

Like this post
adman 2

Likes # 0

i have used 64 bit since vista, because it's been around for a while now and this pc is used for gaming, used 64 bit 7 since beta, never had a problem. i have always been a bit unsure why 32 bit is still being worked on, older hardware maybe?

Like this post
gazzaho

Likes # 0

I bought the W7 family pack upgrade which has both versions and I've installed the 64-bit onto my Desktop for the first time and 32-bit onto my notebook.

It's the first time I've tried 64-bit and things seem to be working fine, all the programs I used with 32-bit work, perhaps with the exception of the really old ones.

The only trouble I had with drivers so far was networking my printer, the 32-bit notebook couldn't find drivers for the printer set up on my 64-bit desktop, I rectified this by installing the relevant printer drivers on both machines then used Add Local Printer instead of Add network printer from Devices and Printers, created a new port and entered the location of my printer from my desktop PC.

From what I've read 64-bit is not required so much at present, no applications take full advantage of it, either with the extended memory it offers or in offering more speed. But I believe it will become more important as time marches on and newer hardware and software is released and requires it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide