We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows7 Installation problems!!!

arminmckidd

Likes # 0

Ok here is the problem. I have burned an ISO of windows 7 onto a DVD-R, installed a new hard drive to install the new OS. I restarted the pc, went into the BIOS, changed the first boot device from hard drive to CD-rom. Restart the pc and it says 'Boot from CD:'. I hit enter then nothing!!! It went back straight to Vista (currently running OS)???
I thought this was kind of strange so i restarted again and this time taking out the hard drive with Vista on it and tried to boot from the CD again but this time i got an error 'GRUB loading stage1.5 Error 17'
what do i do to fix this? HELP!?!?!?!

Like this post
ambra4

Likes # 0

Was Linux ever installed on the hard drive?

Like this post
arminmckidd

Likes # 0

no linux has never been installed yet im getting this error?

Like this post
gigagiggles

Likes # 0

hello, usmb.

is this downloaded and burned version of windows 7 an upgrade or full package?

if its the former, you'll have to run the setup from within vista. also, there may be other limitations and conditions for the upgrade to be compatible and qualified.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Double posting click here

please stick to one thread

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...