We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 M y Photos

susiepops

Likes # 0

In previous version of Windows photos could be dragged around a folder to rearrange the order (renaming afterward of course to retain the new order)

In Windows 7 individual photos seem to be locked into place, in say name order, and can only be dragged to another folder.

The same seems to apply to all folders.

Has anyone overcome this problem

Like this post
susiepops

Likes # 0

Thanks for the 'Alt' hint. That was new to me. How frustrating that we now have this added task. Where's the 'if it 'aint broke don't fix it' gone?

I seem to be finding more irritations with windows 7 than I did with Vista (apart from better stability perhaps)

Renumbering individual files was always an answer of course but this is another irritation. With XP it was so easy to move files and then renumber en bloc. Vista allowed movement but completely messed up renumbering (Irfanview solved the problem but this was an unecessary additional task) Windows 7 is a further worsen from XP it seems.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

PS you can the rename the image file as you wish.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Press the alt key to bring up the old fashioned file, edit, view etc., toolbar in case you need to change some settings. As far as rearranging your images within the folder then simply change the digital number of your jpeg (or whatever file you use) to rearrange the photos. 001 will show first but if you need an image to be before that one then change the digital number to 0001.
To edit any more images in order of appearance simply change the digital number of each image.
Not as quick as dragging but you know where every image's importance is.

Like this post
susiepops

Likes # 0

I am not sure whether my question has been overlooked or there is no solution to this problem that I find extremely irritating. (along with a few others in Windows 7).

Would be grateful for further consideration.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad