We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

firefox dialog box in win 7

gigagiggles

Likes # 0

hello. tried the firefox forum. but for some reason, their safeguards would not accept my 5 digit entries. so here i am.

had problems with vista 64 connecting, so "had" to clean install win 7 pro 64. re-installed firefox 3.53 and transfered as much from previous profile as i could haphazardly do. as such, my bookmarks, cookies, exceptions, add-ons all seem to work. BUT, the dialog box looked weird. after updating to firefox 3.54, i settled in to do some steady web-surfing. the dialog box became more irksome.

when i right-click to save a web page, a dialog box opens. with vista, the box has the same theme as the browser (walnut). it was a simple fairly small elongated rectangular box with a few dialog buttons and entry boxes.

with win 7, the firefox dialog box is windows based. it has the whole complement of drives, navigations and menus to choose from. in essence, the dialog box is an explorer window. i tried to shrink it down to a manageable size, but still it takes up real estate that i have to traverse from dialog button to dialog box and back. that's not the part that is irksome! it's the noticeable short flash display of the dialog box in its pre-shrunk original size to the shrunk size.

so, did i forget to tick or untick some firefox or add-on setting? i did take the option of not having the internet explorer as an enabled windows component. windows 7 updates are current with ie8 updates greyed out.

Like this post
gigagiggles

Likes # 0

found a pink elephant.

i HAD changed the default downloads folder. the "problem" is the downloads are going to the default downloads folder from the vista/firefox install. so the haphazard is biting back.

i'll probably create a new profile and be more careful transfering and see if this will fix it.

Like this post
gigagiggles

Likes # 0

saw what i wanted to see regards dialog box theme. used it for so long in that config i had forgotten i had shrunk the dialog box from a explorer window to its small size vista.

the noticeable flash seems to have been fixed.

clean firefox re-install fixed the download folder location.

left unresolved until the next operating system: the larger than life magnificent 7 shrunken dialog box with all its empty useless real estate i will have to travel across.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback