We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

W7 and Thunderbird

jonmac

Likes # 0

Having loaded Windows 7 (so far, an excellent piece of software )and Thunderbird (Win Live Mail wouldn't display my imported Outlook Express back-up files) I'm now searching in vain for the location of the Thunderbird emails so I can back them up regularly using SyncToy.
Can anyone help with this information?

Like this post
MIke

Likes # 0

Glad you found it!

Like this post
jonmac

Likes # 0

Thanks Mike that's just what I needed. Looks like I only have to set up a folder pair to copy the Profiles folder and the job's done. It's less than 4 Gb so won't take up much space.
Thanks again both.

Like this post
MIke

Likes # 0

how to find your profile folder, which is where Thunderbird saves all your settings on your hard drive.

* On Windows Vista/XP/2000, the path is usually %AppData%\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\, where xxxxxxxx is a random string of 8 characters. Just browse to C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\ on Windows XP/2000 or C:\users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\ on Windows Vista, and the rest should be obvious.

Like this post
MIke

Likes # 0

This is the Thunderbird FAQ

Thunderbird's mail files are in the standard plain text "mbox" format, which almost all mail programs can use or import. Many proprietary mail programs have a function to import from Eudora, which also uses the "mbox" format; this function should read your Mozilla mail files properly.

Your mail files are inside your profile (see the Profile Folder), in the Mail and (if you use IMAP) ImapMail folders. Each mail folder (Inbox, Sent, etc.) is stored as two files — one with no extension (e.g. INBOX), which is the mail file itself (in "mbox" format), and one with an .msf extension (e.g. INBOX.msf), which is the index (Mail Summary File) to the mail file. Tell the other program to import mail from the file with no extension.

If you want to transfer a mail file to another Mozilla profile or another installation of Mozilla, simply put the mail file into the other installation's Mail folder.

Like this post
MIke

Likes # 0

I don't have Thunderbird installed but it's close relative firefox stores things here

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

might be worth you following a similar path?

Like this post
jonmac

Likes # 0

Thanks for the response Forum Editor.
Problem is that in Explorer there is no Documents and Settings folder in C: even after setting Folder Options/View to Show hidden files and folders etc. etc. Strange!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\

That's where you should find the mail store.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

4G to get faster and cheaper with Freeview spectrum: We're in for a wait though

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014: A reflection

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?