We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is it worth the money?

ßoolian

Likes # 0

Hi,

I have a 3 month old Novatech notebook that I have Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit loaded on
Specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4ghz
4GB RAM
500GB Hard Drive
Nvidia G105M Graphics Card

I am intrigued by Windows 7 Ultimate but I am wondering is it worth the money. I hopefully will have enough in 3 weeks time (If Amazon pricing is the same). Is it just a special launch price or will it go up by that time? Also, I have to mention that I am a student still doing my GCSE's so money is not everything but will it be spent wisely. I don't really have any gripes with vista it's just one or two things don't work with it and I like to be up to date on technology.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

did you not get a free upgrade voucher from novatech?

Like this post
ßoolian

Likes # 0

I did not as I ordered it without an operating system as I already had a copy of vista at home

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

If you don't have any gripes with Vista don't bother.

I found it a vast improvement over Vista, which I tried to use for a week and then went back to XP.

However, if you're happy with Vista, stay with it.

Like this post
mehim

Likes # 0

for Office and Windows 7 very cheap

click here

Like this post
ßoolian

Likes # 0

Hi,

Thanks for the replys guys, I think I have found a good site click here but I cannot decide whether to get the 64 bit version or the 32 bit version. My laptop apparently supports both. I have heard rumors that the 64 bit version is not as stable as the 32 bit version but the price is the same.

Thanks,
Joe

Like this post
jakimo

Likes # 0

Read this before deciding 32 or 64bit

click here

Like this post
ßoolian

Likes # 0

Well, I ordered it on Wednesday and was dispatched on Friday on 32bit. I eventually took the decison on 32bit because there is a number of freeware programs on my computer and they do not run on 64 bit and some of my hardware does not either.

Thanks

Like this post
Desperate-Dan

Likes # 0

I installed win7 Ultimate on my desktop, it wouldn't recognize my dvd-rom, my dvd-rw was ok, nero 6 wouldn't work, I googled and googled till I couldn't google no more, and still I couldn't find fix, so went back to good old xp, I have win7 on my laptop its ok, but to be honest I'd have xp any day, just my opinion

Like this post
smackheadz

Likes # 0

i'd say yes,to get the latest operating system that will be good for a fair few years 64bit for less than £100 is pretty good value for money although there will be many a linux user who will say otherwise :o)

Like this post
gazzaho

Likes # 0

The easiest, and cheapest thing to do would be to download and install the Windows 7 RC onto your computer, either as dual boot or set up as a Virtual drive on the machine. That way you could test it out and see if it suits your needs before buying it.

I set up a virtual drive on my notebook and it worked fine.

This site shows how to set it up on a virtual drive (click here)

If you download the RC version you have until March next year to try it before you have to buy. You'll also need ISO burning software in order to burn the Windows 7 RC to disk before installing, Nero will do this or there are free ISO burning programs you could google for.

I just thought it might be worth trying this method before purchasing.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good