We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Blank Screen

clarebearbarton

Likes # 0

I have a Vista Home Premium Sony Vaio desktop; it has been working fine for 18 months but yesterday a black screen just appeared; when rebooting, a series of red dotted lines appeared across the VAIO logo. I have tried to boot up in safe mode but it won't let me. It just wants to either open windows normally, which it cannot do, as I get a blank screen, or it wants to start the repair utility. I have tried doing a system restore back to an earlier date, but with no luck. Doing some research on internet, it seems like it could be a graphics driver issue, but without being able to get on in safe mode, I am not sure what to do - has anyone else experienced this or got any ideas?

Many thanks!

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Are you pressing F8 at initial boot to access safe mode... it's just seeing you say "system restore" which is run from Windows... or do you mean "last known good configuration"
Safe mode should load "generic drivers" but the fact you can't even access safe mode is a problem.
There is startup repair but you need a Vista Disk.

click here

Not familiar with the Sony... does it have a recovery partition that holds a copy of the operating system/drivers etc as it was on day one. If so you should be able to access that by a combination of keys at boot... but it's a last resort as it would format and wipe the C partition.

Like this post
VOT Productions

Likes # 0

The screen is faulty.

Check by plugging in a monitor

Like this post
clarebearbarton

Likes # 0

"The screen is faulty.

Check by plugging in a monitor"

Not sure I can do it on this PC as its all built in - hard drive etc into the screen

I am pressing F8 on booting up but sadly no joy

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Can you access the BIOS by pressing F2 at boot and get a stable display of the BIOS screen on the display. If that's a no go then you have major problems I think.

When you say it asks you to repair windows or start normally, is that with a "normal" stable display showing ? which would show the display etc is basically working.

What's the model number ? There may be some way to run recovery from a hidden partition.

It does all sound like it's seriously corrupted in some way or maybe even a hardware problem.

Like this post
clarebearbarton

Likes # 0

I can access the BIOS but the display still has dotted lines running vertically down.

The model number is VGC-LA3. click here

I also managed to do a memory check today through the system repair and it came up with the message -

Startup Repair V2 Auto failover

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

I have kept seeing this...,

click here

click here

I think it might be worth contacting Sony UK ? if that's applicable and specifically mention the NVidia issue and see what they say.
Sale of goods act etc if it's a known problem and all :)

Like this post
clarebearbarton

Likes # 0

I have sent an email to Sony from their support site so fingers crossed - thanks for pointing me in that direction!

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Your welcome... let us know how you get on.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014