We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Incompatibilities in Windows 7

sonyboy

Likes # 0

I posted this earlier in response to an Anti Virus posting in another thread.The thread was posted as resolved before I submitte so I 've popped it in here in case anyone asks about any of the below mentioned programs having issues........*A/V issues in Windows 7*

I have found the Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) to be performing admirably on 7 !
AVG has been having issues on quite a few users PC's and various conflicts have been causing some users ..more pain than others !
As with all software ...the developers have to try and pitch the product to work accross a wide spectrum of configurations on various machines...and this does lead to users finding different performance "hits" on various systems.
I removed AVG as I had some "glitches" over the past couple of weeks that could only be resolved by disabling certain applications that I was not willing to uninstall..So AVG had to go.
Any of you who have read the "Free A/V " article in Decembers' issue of our magazine ..Will see that Avira has got "top spot"... followed by Avast .The Microsoft version tested got a decent score and failed only on "scanning speeds" ,.....but the figures were based on the Beta version as the final was not available prior to the mag going to press!
I have installed the Final release version of MSE and can only say that it surprised me how well it performed!!.The scan speed on my machine is faster than AVAST and there are absolutely no conflicts or issues whatever!So until I find any yet unseen issues..I'm giving it a good chance to show what it can do..
I can certainly vouch for tha fact that anyone using "System Mechanic 7" will need to upgrade ..It will install o/k ..but the "initialization" takes ages before the program will be able to be used ! Acronis True Image is another casualty..The Acronis TI 2009 will install and work faultlessly..but versions 10 and 11 "flag an "incompatibility box" that prevents an install!
Fingers crossed for now :)

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thanks from one who is gathering info prior to buying a W 7. I plan to buy ATI 2009 (have version 11), and Roxio Creator 2010 (have Creator 2009). I was planning to dump AVG and go for Avira. Not sure of Comodo free firewall? Also I wonder if it is worth paying extra for Ultimate for the XP function.Please keep up the good work on reporting these issues. JB

Like this post
Zeppelyn

Likes # 0

XP mode is also available in Professional. Also for anyone who uses Acronis Disk Directot 10, the latest update (2239) is blocked from installing on Win 7 although build 2160 seems to work ok. Funny that as I thought there was no difference between the NTFS file systems in Vista and Win 7.

Like this post

Likes # 0

This is available in professional according to specifications

NOTE that some Intel processors, e.g. Q8300 and E7500 DO NOT support xp mode, because they do not have Intel VT. Although the processors are being upgraded you need to ensure that the one you get is the later version

Like this post
JYPX

Likes # 0

Very useful info - Thank you.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

O2 to sell exclusive red HTC One M8

IDG UK Sites

iTunes 12 release date & rumours: When is iTunes 12 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger