We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

USB Controllers not found Windows 7

Dukeofkenpas

Likes # 0

Upgraded from XP (using easy file transfer)to windows 7. Nothing on USB ports works. Device Mgr shows all eight USB Root Hubs have a yellow mark against them and Windows advises drivers are latest. However Device manager says drivers not installed code 39
I have tried disabling, uninstalling (inc Safe mode)and Windows picks them up on reboot but all fail again.
Via site does not address the issue and contacting them just refers one to the site.
Bios is Phoenix Award. Motherboard AsusPV5D2-MX.
Chipset VIA P4M890 + VT8237A
I had expected Windows just to pick the USB hubs up but as it stands none of my peripherals on 8 ubs hubs will work. I have withdrawn all tiems and reinput in different slots but no joy
Help please!

Like this post
Dukeofkenpas

Likes # 0

Thanks for this although problem now solved. I found that a new DVD drive solved a lot of problems including the installation of Windows 7 and the subsequent satisfactory operation of all USB ports

Like this post
Technocrate

Likes # 0

I can confirm this solution. I had the same problem and I turned off the computer, unplugged the power cable then plugged everything back in and restarted and the error message was gone. Finally!!! No more "Unknown USB Devicemessages."

Like this post
Dukeofkenpas

Likes # 0

Found out how to open the bin file but the procedure did not work. Probably because it required a uSB stick (which I cannot use for obvious reasons) or a floppy disk drive which i do not have. I tried burning to a cd and dvd but in reboot sequence the programme facility came up but did not show the file. I have spent so much time on this that I am on the verge of giving up (and probably going back to pencil and paper!)

Like this post
Dukeofkenpas

Likes # 0

Thanks merlinx.
32 bit. Easier said than done. I found one reference to the chipboard and downloaded it as an XP file. It came as a zip file which I extracted. It gave me one binary file (.bin) which I have no idea how to deal with.
I am seriously thinking of going back to XP!
PS Yes I have used Windows update

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

I would look up your motherboard details and visit the makers website and download the drivers from there ,put them on your desktop and right click the file and select run in compatability mode for ,and select (for example windows XP) .this should get them up and running .
Have you updated windows via windows update yet ,I would have thought you would have found some drivers that way .

PS: 32bit or 64.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September