We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista AVG 9.0 problem

igk

Likes # 0

There is a problem regarding the upgrade to AVG free edition 9.0.
AVG in their wisdom have decided to turn off windows defender anyone who upgrades will see a new icon in their taskbar warning that it has been turned off,also I have found that if you have Ad-Aware installed it also turns off the Live Watch part of Ad-Aware.
There are several questions about this on the AVG forum but few answers the only one that can be found is that this was done with the approval of Microsoft as it can slow down boot up time if windows defender and the new AVG upgrade both run at the same time.
I think it's time to find another good free antivirus application!!!

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

I havent had this problem, just checked on AVG forum. Which advises enable it and advises keep it on click here
last post

Like this post
Teaboy

Likes # 0

I had the same occur to me after AVG update. I clicked on windows defender and re-activated it.

All is well, everything works.

Like this post
igk

Likes # 0

I tried doing this but it was disabled again after every boot up and looking at various forums including Microsoft this is happening to many users.
I also contacted a Microsoft tech person and it was clearly stated that Windows defender should NEVER be disabled I hope that they will soon be having words with AVG.
I have in the meantime gone back to AVG 8.5 with no problems and have advised the people who's computers I help to look after not to upgrade to the 9.0 version.

Like this post
keith mac

Likes # 0

thanks for the warning

I've had other AVG problems when updating

Shouldn't updating imply making things better?

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

and moved to Microsoft Security Essentials and on a first scan on an old machine found a trojan.

I did the same with a friends machine and it picked up a trojan on his. (not the same trojan)

Not found by AVG at all.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014