We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Canon N670U Scanner and Windows 7

Peter Lanky

Likes # 0

I own the above scanner which Canon no longer provides a driver for. However, it has been suggested elsewhere that I should use a Vista driver, and install it using Compatibility mode.

I followed the instructions from suggested to me to get a driver for this scanner

"If it does not work on your issue, I'd suggest you installing the Vista driver in Compatibility mode. Remove and rescan that hardware device in Device Manager , right-click on the driver executable/installer file -> Properties and select the Compatibility tab; click the checkbox before Run this program in Compatibility mode for option and select Windows Vista in the list-down box; then try installing the device driver via Run as administrator."

I downloaded the Vista driver from the Canon site. I received a compressed folder called lide20lide30n670un676un1240uvst7031a_xpen.exe . Running this creates a folder of the same name containing another compressed folder called SetupSG.exe and a readme file. When I run this file in compatibility mode, something happens on screen, but it is too quick on the screen and I can't see it. However, it does not install a driver to my scanner, nor can I find a driver on my PC.

Any suggestions please?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Another suggestion:
click here

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

I've just got a Canon N650U scanner working fine on Win 7 32 bit...

I downloaded the XP driver, (there isn't even a Vista one for this), and the scanner toolbox, from Canon

They are both .exe zip files

I unzipped the driver to a suitable folder. This gives a folder with various folders and files inside, but no .exe files.

Then I connected the scanner... "Couldn't install blah blah.." message.

The I went to Device manager. The scanner was showing. I selected it and chose to Update the driver manually, and navigated to the unzipped folder. Driver installed.

The I went to the folder where I'd unzipped the toolbox. This has two folders, ("disk1" and "disk2"). Inside the first is a "setup.exe". Right click on it and choose "Properties", then the compatibility tab. "Win XP SP3" Run as administartor" and disable the bottom 3 visual effects. Click "OK"

The run the setup.

Reboot.

I now have the Scanner working, apparently with no problems, and the toolbox seems to be functioning perfectly as well... Though it hasn't been tested thoroughly!

I think the secret is the manual install of the driver via Device Manager!

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
Peter Lanky

Likes # 0

I decided that the only solution to this was to buy a refurbished (mine was new) Lide 100 off Ebay from the Canon outlet for just under £24, and forget about the drivers.

Like this post
Peter Lanky

Likes # 0

I only have Home Premium. Bearing in mind the extra cost of pro or ultimate over home would be more than the cost of a new scanner, it was never a possibility.

Like this post
robocat

Likes # 0

Actually you can get this scanner to work in Windows 7.

However you must have either Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate as your OS, this will not work in Home Edition.

Download Windows 7 Virtual PC and XP Compatability from Microsoft and install.This will allow you to open Windows 7 in XP Mode.

Open XP mode and then install drivers and software, then run desired program ie: Toolbox etc.

I know it works as I have just completed and works fine.

Hope this helps you.

Like this post
Peter Lanky

Likes # 0

Interestingly, after running Vuescan, my scanner shows as LiDe 20 in control panel, though if I click on it, it says it requires a WIA driver. Checking device manager, there are 2 files installed as drivers, c:\windows\drivers\ksthunk.sys and c:\windows\drivers\usbscan.sys. Checking the actual files, they have the same date as most of my other Windows 7 files, so I assume they were not added by Vuescan.

Another interesting point is that though Canon says it is not supporting the N670U, it is supporting the LiDe 20, which has always used the same drivers, though no new drivers have appeared on the Canon website yet. I don't understand drivers at all, but supporting one scanner but not the other seems strange if they use the same driver. Can anyone enlighten me?

Like this post
Peter Lanky

Likes # 0

Marg7, As this is the only item that doesn't work on my new system, I don't want to move backwards to 32 bit and lose my ability to use all my 8 gig of RAM.

MIke. Vuescan does work, but of course I would have to pay around £25 to use it, and at that price, I may as well buy a new scanner, bearing in mind I would then tied to Vuescan. However, it does prove that the scanner can work in this environment, and maybe somebody will produce an appropriate driver.

Susiepops. That driver only works in 32 bit systems.

Thanks for all the contribution, which of course are still welcome.

Like this post
susiepops

Likes # 0

It took me a while but I have succesfully used my scanner using the following from Canon's download page:

\lide20lide30n670un676un1240uvst7031a_xpen

Do not forget to to disconnect the scanner when loading the software as I first did.

Like this post
MIke

Likes # 0

There is a program called Vuescan which might be of help to you. According to their list of compatible scanners yours is supported and doesn't need canon driver to be installed. I guess Vuescan has it's own drivers.

The following Canon scanners are supported on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux, and don't need the Canon scanner drivers to be installed:

# D660U
# N670U
# N676U

It does cost $39.95 but you can download a free trial from click here.

Might be wortha try. Latest version works on Win 7

Like this post
Peter Lanky

Likes # 0

I'm using 64 bit. I'm starting to lose hope now.

I've tried copying all the relevant driver files for this scanner from an XP PC, but not a hint of working.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to watch Samsung Galaxy Note 4 launch live: Unpacked 2014 Episode 2 at IFA

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September