We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Clean Install?

JoanSims

Likes # 0

Hi,, I like the sound of clearing out unnecessary stuff that a Clean Install of '7' achieves and the link fron 'anskyber' on another thread telling you how to physically do the clean install seems reasonably easy... What I'm unsure of is the pre and post clean install work.What do I need to backup and where to? (I don't have a external HDD)and then after a successfull clean install how do I reinstate the stuff and make sure it goes in the right places??.. bit of a novice so all donations will be gratefully received.. regards JoanSims

Like this post
AlanHo

Likes # 0

I am assuming that your computer has one hard drive which is not divided into two partitions and that your existing OS, your programs and all the data are stored there.

Before you do a clean instal of Windows 7 - which will wipe your disc clean - you will need to copy - or back-up all your data which you wish to retain (documents, music, pictures, videos, Emails etc) onto a sperate hard drive or partiton.

If you do not have a seperate hard drive - and if your one and only drive has enough free space - you could create a second partition on that drive to which you would copy all your data.

After you do the clean install of Windows 7 you would then have to install all your software programs again (you cannot just copy them from one disc to another) and copy your data back to the relevent folders on the C: drive.

Like this post
JoanSims

Likes # 0

Thanks AlanHo,, All your assumptions are correct I'm afraid.. Nowts easy in this world.I should have known.. but thanks anyhoo. JoanSims

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED