We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Graphics card Not Compatible

Mike@#36

Likes # 0

I currently have XP Media Centre and have run the W7 upgrade advisor which has reported than my Graphics card is not compatible with W7, and this a computer that is only 2 years old?

Is this a show stopper in terms of me installing W7 or is it a case of having to find a card that is compatible - sounds pricey to me.

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

I have a Nvidia 7600 GT card that was around at the same time as the 7300 and it works OK with W7. The new OS seems pretty smart at finding drivers

Like this post
Mike@#36

Likes # 0

Thanks, that's the driver the checker took me to so it looks like I can install windows 7 after all. It also showed that my current XP driver was out of date so I've updated that whilst I was at it. The upgrade adviser still states the graphics device is not suitable though? However it also states one of my printers is not compatible although the compatibility web site they have states it is ?? not sure I trust this upgrade advisor too much.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

32bit driver here

click here

Like this post
Mike@#36

Likes # 0

Just checked my Graphics card and it's an NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE

NVIDEA have a driver checker so might give that a go.

Like this post
Mike@#36

Likes # 0

That's OK, it's looking as if the so called problem may be solvable. Just need to check exactly which card I have - think it's an nVIDEA.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thanks - thinking of the 64 bit.
Mike@#36 Sorry - did not mean to hijack your thread!

Like this post
david1985

Likes # 0

Here's the 32-bit Windows 7 driver for your card click here#

And the 64-bit driver, click here

Aero should work fine with a 7800GTX in Windows 7.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Same here, but the check said only for the Aero feature. I have a 3 year old nVidia 7800GTX and am hoping it will be ok , as it is with my existing Media Centre edition. I assume the Aero feature is not vital? I thought of having a dual boot system for a while as I have a 2nd slave HD.

Like this post
david1985

Likes # 0

What graphics card do you currently have? The upgrade advisor may just be detecting that your current graphics drivers wont be compatible. If you check the graphics card manufacturer website, you may find some Windows 7 drivers.

Also, if you're running XP, Microsoft (and myself) recommend a clean install rather than trying an upgrade.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers