We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win 7 Install with a difference

golfpro

Likes # 0

I have an Acer Travelmate lap-top which has a German version of Vista running on it. In a couple of days I shall be doing a CLEAN install of Win 7 in English. As the German OS was preinstaled, I did not receive a Recovery disc with it, or a program key. I have a couple of questions:

1. Will I be asked to input the Vista key during the install or not.

2. How do I make a bootable back up disc should anything go wrong with the install, so that I can revert back to where I was, or at least back to the Vista OS.

I don't have very many important files or programs on the Lap-top so that does not make much difference.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

You can burn a recovery disc with Acers Erecovery which would be preinstalled.
That should have been the first thing it asked you to do when it was new. It's a bootable copy of the recovery partition and will restore the laptop to "out of the box" condition.

You can also use Acronis to make a disk image and put it on the "d" partition. Provided you only format the C drive with the W7 disk and don't alter partition sizes the D will be untouched and you still have your Acronis image if needs be.

Like this post
golfpro

Likes # 0

I have Acronis version 8, but it will not work with Vista only XP. I suppose I could buy the upgrade to version 2010 for €20 I will have to contact Acronis support first (that's a pain) and see if it is possible.
I read somewhere that Acer had a back-up system on the laptop that you could download to disc I don't know if that's true or not, I haven't looked yet. If anyone dose know please let me know.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

1. No.
2. By installing something like Acronis True Image on your laptop and backing up your complete existing system to either an external hard drive or DVDs

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK