We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dual boot?

john bunyan

Likes # 0

At the moment I am on XP with Windows Media Centre Edition.
I have a primary 320 HD partitioned 80 Gig for programmes, the rest for "My Documents". I have an identical slave internal HD on which I clone the primary, weekly, using ATI. I also have an external HD (500 Gig) on which I do a weekly image with ATI and also copy parts of "My documents" - mainly i Tunes and photos.
I am thinking of changing to W 7 ultimate 64 bit. I thought I might switch my slave drive to a dual boot , keeping w XP on it , and use a second external HD that I have for ATI to clone or image for the W7. Then when I am used to W7 and ironed out any bugs I could revert to the old system and give up XP- I assume I need a later ATI than v 11. Any comments?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

So I will treat as resolved!

Like this post
heismark

Likes # 0

>I am thinking of changing to W 7 ultimate 64 bit

If you have something complicated that works, I wouldn't change it to Win 7 untill you need to.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

That is why I by - passed Vista. The reason for changing is I use Photoshop CS4 and 4 Gig (only of use in 64 bit) would be useful. Also It has the Media Centre Edition which I use. Not sure of Need or Greed comment - The whole update will not be too expensive. However I am in no great hurry, but my wife needs a new laptop and I thought it useful if we were both on W 7.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...