We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

windows 7 upgrade offered by Acer

M@rk

Likes # 0

Install at your own risk.

Acer web site says

Q. Can I install a version of an operating system that did not ship with the system?

A. We cannot recommend or support the installation of an operating system other than that shipped on the system.
Support is available only for the shipping operating system.

I along with probably many others bought a new machine because of the upgrade. and only now do I find out they will give you the upgrade but not support it.

How despicable.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

2.5 years ago when Acer shipped their Vista upgrade kit consisting of a Vista disk and an Acer DVD with all the patches and drivers the Microsoft badged disk (I have a copy !) says imprinted on it "support for this product is provided by Acer"
On a couple of occasions when I did email Acer for support/advice because there WERE issues, they always denied any liability and the answer to any issue was to buy recovery disks (xp).

As many will agree... Acer products are pretty good generally, but the support very poor.

Like this post
M@rk

Likes # 0

The information was on their own website so i tend to believe them, but thanks for the advice on backups.

M@rk

Like this post
david1985

Likes # 0

I think that's mainly meant to apply to people installing Linux or wanting to downgrade from Vista to XP.

Since the upgrade is to be supplied by Acer themselves, it will be supported. However I would HIGHLY recommend that you create your recovery discs first, just incase they're needed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback