We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

NVIDIA Drivers Problem

rawprawn

Likes # 0

Sony Vaio VGN AR31E, Graphics NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400 GPU
Having loaded Win 7 I am running on just the Generic Drivers, I have tried updating, but I am told the the drivers are already installed.
Can you help please.
I had the same proble with RC1 and solved it (I think it was Sea Urchin who solved it)

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Is this any help,
click here

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

I can't find any reference to drivers for my VGN-AR31E.
I seem to be up against a brick wall

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

Hmm, like you I've tried on your behalf to find your drivers with a nil return from nVidea. Rather odd that they do not do even a Beta. As a very long shot have you tried the 7 series drivers for desktops, unlikely to work but might be worth a try? click here

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

It seems this has worked for many, use the Vista drivers and run in compatibility mode. click here

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Thanks,I tried the one for Desktops but no go.
I will look at your other link

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

The problem I had (Vista) is that NOTHING from NVidia would install. Notebook drivers are unique and need a modified .inf to install.

This site always gets recommended, read about the inf issue too.
click here

Why not ask specifically on the Sony forum in the link I put in and on laptopvideo2go

;) I though W7 had "solved" all this. This kind of thing is what gave Vista bad press. NVidia in particular were one of the manufacturers supposed to have been working closely with MS etc over the last couple of years.

When you resolve it, I would be tempted to make a note of exactly how, then perhaps reinstall so you have a guaranteed clean driver install etc. And if you find a driver that works... save it on flash memory etc.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Tried compatibility, it just overwrote the driver with no change,

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Thanks, I will try Sony later. My wife is getting restless, she wants us to go out and I want to solve my problem.
I will come back later.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

lol :)

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

If there are no drivers for your card, then as mooly has suggested, your only port of call is the Truly awful Sony support page.

Laptops are fussy, and you certainly can't use desktop drivers.

Good luck (you may well need it)

I hope your experience of Sony's support is better than mine from the past.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...