We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

NVIDIA Drivers Problem

rawprawn

Likes # 0

Sony Vaio VGN AR31E, Graphics NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400 GPU
Having loaded Win 7 I am running on just the Generic Drivers, I have tried updating, but I am told the the drivers are already installed.
Can you help please.
I had the same proble with RC1 and solved it (I think it was Sea Urchin who solved it)

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Just a shot in the dark but is there an option in the update driver screen to "browse" ON YOUR PC and to "show compatable hardware" or some such description like there was with Vista.
I could never get NVidia drivers to install (geforce6100) from various sites... the .inf was always wrong and laptop drivers tend to be unique but windows actually had one that did work brilliantly. It was just a case of knowing how to get at it.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Kevscar, Thanks but it can't find anything for 32 bit Win 7, then If I let it scan auto, it says my drivers are up to date.

mooly, thanks I have tried that but it says I have the best driver installed and it "can't see"
my downloaded update. The real problem is how to Delete the driver I have installed so that I can install the new one. All I get when I uninstall it is Reboot and then windows reinstalls it.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

sunnystaines, I will have to try the Sony forum tomorrow, which Windows Forum do you mean?

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

This may work:

1) Go into msconfig, and disable Windows updater at startup

2) Without the reboot, go into Device manager, right click on your graphics card entry and choose "Uninstall"

3) Make sure uou have the new drivers downloaded and ready.

4) Re-boot hopefully Windows won't install the old driver.

5) Install the new one

6) Reinstate windows update in msconfig after re-Boot.

Just an idea:))

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Just to be clear, and IF it is the same, it may not be of course, you go to device manager, expand and pick your graphics card, right click it and select properties and "update driver"

Select "browse my computer for driver software"

Then select "let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer"

You MUST then untick the box "show compatable hardware" and that then brings a new list up, where you should see NVidia listed.

For me I picked something like (going from memory) Forceware N405 or something (Mine was a 6100)... which worked a treat. Gave me a full and stable NVidia driver with all options to adjust. display etc

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

It's not quite the same in Windows 7, the nearest I can get is wizard and tick "Show compatible drivers" but NVIDIA is not listed all I can see in both Device manager and anywhere else is "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter"
I am beginning to wonder if my graphics card has gone for a burton.
NVIDIA used to be listed in Control Panel and I'm sure in Device Manager in Vista, but I can find no reference to it in W7 at all.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

I am a bit wary of that, if my graphics Card is defunct and if I do what you say would I be unable to look at my screen after rebooting?
As I told mooly I can find no reference to NVIDIA at all.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

After lots of digging I tried to re install NVIDIA with the drivers I had downloaded. I got this message
"The operating system is not Vista NVIDIA Set Up and associated drivers are designed to run on Vista 32 bit. This installation will now be terminated.
It would seem I need a new NVIDIA Set Up
any ideas?
RP

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

No, it will behave exactly as it is now (an unrecognised standard VGA adaptor as opposed to using the Nvidia drivers which it should)

You will still get a display, and if all else fails you still have safe mode.

Out of interest, which driver package are you trying to install?

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

This is what I am trying to install,
NVDVID-01193629-UN
I think that it may only be suitable for Vista.
I have searched NVIDIA for suitable Win 7 drivers but I'm darned if I can find any.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014