We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Starter Edition multiple monitors

Gary Wood

Likes # 0

I am considering buying a netbook that comes with Windows 7 Starter edition. I know it has certain limitions, but I can live with them, since it's not going to be my primary computer.

However, there's one limitation I'm unsure about: multi-monitor support. Can anyone confirm what this means? Is it that I can't connect an external monitor and clone the display so both screens display the same, or is it that I can't have an external screen displaying a second desktop and open a program on the external screen and a different one on the netbook screen.

If that latter is the case, I don't care, and will buy the netbook. If the former, though, it would prevent me from using the netbook with a projector to run PowerPoint presentations, and that would put me off the Starter Edition.

Many thanks in advance if someone can confirm this for me.

Gary

Like this post
ambra4

Likes # 0

“Whether I will be able to display the desktop/PowerPoint slides on both screens simultaneously”

Yes

Windows 7 Starter Edition does not include the following: -

Aero Glass, meaning you can only use the “Windows Basic” or other opaque themes.

It also means you do not get Taskbar Previews or Aero Peek.

Personalization features for changing desktop backgrounds, window colours, or sound schemes.

The ability to switch between users without having to log off

Multi-Monitor Support

click here

DVD playback

Windows Media Centre for watching recorded TV or other media.

Remote Media Streaming for streaming your music, videos, and recorded TV from your home

computer.

Domain support for business customers

XP Mode for those that want the ability to run older Windows XP programs on Windows 7

Like this post
Gary Wood

Likes # 0

Ambra,

Thanks for your reply.

I understand that the VGA port on the netbook would let me hook up to a projector.

But, Windows 7 Starter Edition has the limitation that it does not support multiple monitors.

So, my question is whether I will be able to display the desktop/PowerPoint slides on both screens simultaneously, or whether the OS limitation will mean I can only display on one or the other.

Thanks,

Gary

Like this post
ambra4

Likes # 0

The external display port is a extension of the netbook screen what ever is displayed on the

netbook screen will be display on the external monitor

The external VGA port only allow the netbook to be connected to a larger monitor, a projector

VGA port a TV with a VGA port

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback