We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Manufacturers only building 64 bit computers?

Likes # 0

A trawl of makers sites seems to suggest that all new W7 computers on the market use the 64 bit software

Reading some of the problems with drivers and peripheral equipment, and the fact that unsigned drivers seem to be a no no on 64 bit, are there 32 bit machines available, or should we wait before buying?

I certainly don't want to get round to buying a new printer etc, bearing in mind that the driver cd in the box will almost certainly be out of date

Like this post

Likes # 0

thanks for that which confirms what I'm told trawling round the net

I'd really decided to go W7 but it seems all the makers are in to 64 bit. I can see the reason but folk like HP etc just aren't coming up with signed drivers to do the business

Is this another Microsoft demand for a fee to approve a digitally signed driver for 64bit? (I gather 32 bit W7 does not require a digitally signed driver)

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

I have been trialing 64 bit alongside 32bit windows 7 since it first leaked (rtm) some time ago and can confirm that there are many problems with hardware ,most worrying for me was the lack of working drivers for modems and wireless adapters .I have 3 different wireless hubs and 5 wireless (usb) adapters and could only get 2 of the hubs working properly via ethernet cable ,in 64bit win7 ,32 bit is superb ,it has coped with every piece of hardware I could throw at it .but the 64bit failed to get a single wireless adapter working ,, no driver support ,and it would not allow vista drivers (32or64bit ) refuing point blank to recognise them.
I foresee a whole host of threads about failing to get internet access via 64bit in the near future.

Like this post

Likes # 0

I have to say that having looked at the pages on the HP support site I'm not filled with confidence

No mention is made about 32/64 bit operation and the large number of red crosses in the various boxes leaves me wondering just how much co-operation there has been between these two mega corporations, how many of these drivers are actually digitally signed (We aren't told) and how much we are being invited to take note of the exhortation that "newer products available in the market are the preferred choice for most customers adopting Windows 7"

Not for me, they're not, having a perfectly serviceable printer and supplies of ink for quite some time I'm rather disappointed that my preferred supplier of printers seems so laid back in its support

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

when choosing a printer check the web site of the printer to see what driver's they have for the model your looking at.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...